The Camels set sail.. and we're off on Sunday!

Jen

Well, after loading up last tuesday the Camel set sail last night from Felixstowe on the MSC Christina :unsure:

I'm glad we went for the high cube, there's was quite a difference in the heights of the 'normal' container compared to that and its' extra piece of mind with him having a bit more space inside (and no fiddling about changing wheels etc. at the other end). He was *very* well tied down by Kingstown Shipping's main man who's been loading cars for 40 years 'and never lost one yet!' (even having one on that ship that ran aground! :o ), thanks to all those that recommended Kingstown, they've proven excellent so far :)

We even had a Camel coloured container :lol: :

charlieloading.jpg

< enter dodgy comment about bondage/ropes/Moglite here >:

Charliecontainer.jpg

The MSC Christina... she looks ok right? :unsure::huh::lol:

mscchristina.jpg

We're following on Sunday flying out to Baltimore and spending a week or so around New York/Washington/Baltimore before hopefully picking Charlie up on the 24th. For those that are interested, our blog is here:

http://usacanadatrip2007.blogspot.com/

Which we'll updating whenever we can and there's lots of pointless details (and unfinished pages) on our website here: GetMuddy should you be extra bored at work.

All that remains now is to finish sorting the paperwork, give the house a good clean, make sure I've packed enough underwear, stand the Mini up ... the list goes on and on!

Shire's brought us a very (very) cool cycle computer each, so thanks to you guys, I'm looking forward even more to buying my new bike now! Those Moab/Whistler trails are going to get a bit of a pounding... B)

Only one thing I'm stuck with - Driving music! All my driving music is Subaru type stuff.. not really suitable for 50mph in a Landy! lol! Any suggestions gratefully recieved, I go blank everytime I get to the download site! :lol: ...please don't leave me with Dan's music choices... ;):lol:

Jen (and Dan)

Green Day - all and any albums but you need 'Holiday' and 'Novacaine' without fail

Show of Hands - Witness

New Model Army Greatest Hits

Janis Joplin - any and all her albums

Charlie Parker - any and all

Hayseed Dixies - Weapons of Grass Destruction (the Bluegrass version of Holidays in the Sun is awesome)

The Eagles - Hotel California

Cherry Ghost's new album

Any Barclay James Harvest

The Levellers - any and all

Steel Pulse Geatest Hits

Albonini or Pachobel

Should do for a while...

Good luck guys ...very jealous

watch out that the camel doesn't go into one those "Government warehouses" ....

:D

when you get on the road always try the local radio stations they should match the location ;)

Tool - undertow

Linkin Park - minutes to midnight

Ministry - the mind is a terrible thing to taste (great for road rage!)

Ministry - the land of rape and honey (as above)

Googoo dolls - dizzy up the girl

Marilyn Manson - lest we forget

NIN - pretty hate machine

Metallica - the black album

Jon

Paris Texas soundtrack by Ry Cooder for when you enter Monument Valley!

Check out any of the ski resorts in Colorado for mountain biking. Hang your bike on the back of the chair lift and downhill all day. I can recommend Breckenridge, but you better hurry before the snow starts!

Have a good one.

Kev

good luck, how big a supply of chocolate have you packed?

lol! I didn't risk it, but am planning a last weekend of Chocolate eating to make up for the lack of Cadbury's in America! :lol: (The plan to visit the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory is easing my pain somewhat ;):D )

Check out any of the ski resorts in Colorado for mountain biking. Hang your bike on the back of the chair lift and downhill all day.

Ah, yes - we've seen that in Whistler as well and it's Dan's idea of heaven! ... sad thing is, I can only beat him on the uphills... still, I'll just have to practise the downhills more. The idea of reducing the pain going up for the smiles coming down does appeal :ph34r::lol: Will def. check out the Colorado ones too... we should just beat the snow :)

Dave and Jon - Thanks for the music suggestions, there's certainly a few from those lists I need to get B)

Moose - Argh! :lol: That's exactly where it is going!! :blink::ph34r::lol: I'll send Dan in to look for it ;) See you Friday still? :)

Thanks,

Jen

No music I'm afraid unless you like Joan Beaz or Jony Cash.

You enjoy yourself Jen. Whan do you expect to arrive back here ? Our Defender goes 2nd August. We fly 22nd August. Get back in Feburary in time for the Donington show.

Is that a 40foot box Jen ?? If so my I ask why ?

mike

Thanks Mike, you enjoy yours too! :)

We intend to arrive back on the 1st Dec, Camel will probably be joining us later. Should be interesting as I havn't had time to MOT the Mini before we go, so will probably end up having to bring the bike back on the plane so I can get around to work on Monday! :lol:

It was a 40', it's the only way we could get a hi-cube as the 'normal' containers were too small for the Camel. We would have had to lost 7cm somehow. We looked at lots of options: flatten tyres, ratchet strap axles to body, fiddle with suspension etc. but it still would have only been 2cm clear inside. Bearing in mind the amount these containers bounce etc when on the boat we decided to go with the hi-cube (only available as 40'). It was a bit of a no-brainer really as it was only £200 more and I was happy to pay that for piece of mind not only that it would get in ok, but was more likley to come out the other end with no damage. It's no extra cost on the way back either :)

Did look kinda lonely in there all on it's own! :)

Jen

Ohhhh goody! Do I pick my ticket up at the gate? Is it one of those e-ticket wotsits....? Do I get to sit in the front?

:lol: @ you!

(You'll have to sit on the water tank.. Dan took the rear seats out!)

;):D

Well done guys .............. when you get there all the planning heartaches will soon be forgotten,

Hmmm music .....................

Pink Floyd .......... Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The final Cut

WASP .................. The Crimson Idol, Winged Assasins, The Last Command, The Headless Children

Journey ............... Escape,

Queensryche .............. Greatest hits, Operation Mindcrime

Daivd Arkenstone .............. Quest of a Dream Warrior, In the Wake of the Wind

Joe Cocker .................. The Ultimate Collection

and a compilation album called 'Driving Rock Ballads' 3CD Set

Have a good trip..............

:)

Ian

Pink Floyd .......... Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The final Cut

Oh yes... now we are talkin :D

Unfortunately Jen finds Pink Floyd depressing :blink: and dull!!! :o But never fear... I'll have my complete Floyd collection with me for when she gets on my nerves!! ;):lol:

is that a female thing or what? my mrs thinks exactly the same thing!

anyway, dan and jen have a great trip, hope you get some good piccies and stories.

make sure you avoid those hillbillies they have round there!

just a thought if a container that big is coming back in december and we can trust Dan not to spend our money ( i know jen wont spend it as american chocolate is carp) could we not put stuff in the container wrapped up as christmas presents?

paul

It's true :( I know I should like it but I do find it depressing and dull.. :ph34r:

The worrying thing though... is I did spend much of last night downloading Barenaked Ladies... :huh::ph34r::lol: (there's no way I can write that sentance in a sensible way, I lost my old albums I used to have, so it was good to replace them :) )

Thanks for the other suggestions and good wishes guys :)

just a thought if a container that big is coming back in december and we can trust Dan not to spend our money ( i know jen wont spend it as american chocolate is carp) could we not put stuff in the container wrapped up as christmas presents?

There is potential, but I think it'll have to fit in the Camel as we're sharing the container. Oh, and I'm planning to pick up a few bits and pieces for my series George ;):D Nothing to say we couldn't post some stuff back with bows on though B)

is that a female thing or what? my mrs thinks exactly the same thing!

Nah, my Mrs is a complete Pink Floyd nut... seems to be either that or Muse that she listens to at the moment!

Music-wise, personally:

Linkin Park - anything, but particularly the remix albums (reanimation and collision course),

Nine Inch Nails - pretty hate machine (good call ;) ), ..and all that could have been

David Arnold/Propellorheads - on her majesty's secret service (It's only a single but at 12 minutes long it feels like an album!)

A good selection of 'Shine' compilations and various other Indie/rock compilation albums!

Enjoy, I'm not jealous at all.... :blink:

Mark

The Levellers - any and all

Nice list from the Hobbit there! The Levellers is an especially fine choice. In fact we specifically bought an FM transmitter for the MP3 player so that we could listen to Levelling the Land on our Death Vally trip in a convertable last year!