Navigation choices

PeterR

Yep Memory Map for me too running on a Mitac Mio 210 with built in GPS.

Interestingly I discovered in the US last week that even without maps loaded it still performs as a regular GPS with Long/Lat & Altitude displayed

Sorry to ask what may be a dumb Q and be slightly OT, but what is the minimum spec for a PDa to run memory map. I read on one of the other threads that it needs a 800 x 600 pixel screen. Does this mean it won't run on a smaller one or just is harder to use. Can I make it run on my Navman F20, which has an SD slot; if not & If I was trying to get something cheap & cheerful to run memory map with GPS function as a 'you are here now, to get home turn left type thing' what should I go for new / secondhand?

Please try not to be too technical. :ph34r: TIA :) .

Guest diesel_jim

I've got MM at home, but no decent laptop yet, but when i'm out laning on the plain i always use my GPS and OS map 184... gets me around OK! :D

Sorry to ask what may be a dumb Q and be slightly OT, but what is the minimum spec for a PDa to run memory map. I read on one of the other threads that it needs a 800 x 600 pixel screen. Does this mean it won't run on a smaller one or just is harder to use. Can I make it run on my Navman F20, which has an SD slot; if not & If I was trying to get something cheap & cheerful to run memory map with GPS function as a 'you are here now, to get home turn left type thing' what should I go for new / secondhand?

Please try not to be too technical. :ph34r: TIA :) .

Memory Map will run fine on 640x480 - thats what I use.

It will show you where you are - realtime, scroll etc.

The trouble comes when you mess with tracks etc. The save track button is outside of the 640x480 window !!

I use a Garmin 12, but anything with a serial or USB connection will do.

I suppose even Bluetooth is possible but my toughbook doesn't have it.

I run mine through an 18 volt converter, but I know toughbooks will work at 14 volts cos Gordon does that.

PeterR

You can have a look at my setup whenever you like, Its a new setup from last time we went laning.

It uses one of HP's new convertable laptops (laptop to slate/tablet), Bluetooth gps, 12volt power adaptor and a RAM mount to hold it all.

As for software i use Memeory map along with PC Navigator (for road navi).

If you need any more info just ask.