First time maintainence

Afternoon all,

Got to replace the front bearings this weekend. This will be the first time I have done it and have looked at Les's greatly helpfile on the tech archieve. However I do have some simple questions: where do I get penetrating fluid from, any recommendations on brand and price? And so you actually need to get a special socket to remove the brake caliper bolts or will a conventional socket do it Also does anyone have any helpful tips on doing this that Les hasn't covered...

As ever thanks in advance, Paul

A lot of people use WD40 as a penetrating fluid, although this isn't what it is really. Plus Gas is an age-old penetrating fluid, but there are many types out there now. PEN is very good, but a bit expensive and there are the freeze sprays that do the same thing. You could get away with using a normal hex socket, but it would have to be a good fit, and there's a greater chance of it slipping (you'll be in the poo then!) The last ones I undid I snapped an extension bar, so they can be as tight as Rogue Trooper :P .

Just about any half-decent mtor parts place would sell something suitable.

Les.

Afternoon all,

Got to replace the front bearings this weekend. This will be the first time I have done it and have looked at Les's greatly helpfile on the tech archieve. However I do have some simple questions: where do I get penetrating fluid from, any recommendations on brand and price? And so you actually need to get a special socket to remove the brake caliper bolts or will a conventional socket do it Also does anyone have any helpful tips on doing this that Les hasn't covered...

As ever thanks in advance, Paul

WD40 or Plusgas work as penetrating fluid available from the likes of Halfrauds or your local motor factors. As for the caliper bolts you will need a 12 point socket rather than the more usual 6 point ones these should also be available from Halfrauds etc.

Hth

Pete.

ASDA do their own brand WD40 for less than a pound, and its actually really good... if you are going to sray it around everywhere i'd recommend it.

With regard to the brake caliper bolts, you need a 12 point socket or a good quality ring spanner... theres not a lot of room in there so you wont get much of a swing, i can recommend Halfords Rachet spanners for that job...