new defender

Just had 2 Brand new defenders through work over the past couple of day's one 110 hard top and one 110 hi-cap now is it me but have Land rover missed quite a few tricks with the new motor i mean yes the dash looks better BUT if your over 6ft in the truck cab your knee is pressed hard up against the New console and it's very uncomfortable ( by the way i know that there isn't much room to start with but the dash isn't quite as intrusive on the model before), the heater vents for keeping your feet warm burn your thigh's? why oh why have they put the engine ECU behind the block don't they know ford can't keep water out of ECU's etc.... Why have they put the dipstick that far back and it fouls on the feeble excuse for a bonnet!! Whats the idea of the arrangement on the passenger side? couldn't they have made a better use of it?? :blink::huh: If you have just bought one sorry for having a go but after looking round and working on brand new Land rover's for years it just wind's me up how rubbish the build quality is and so many missed opportunity's they have had to improve something we all love? again sorry for having a gripe...NO offense meant to anyone (except may be Land rover?) :D

:D:D:D

Here is one missed oppertunity, why not do away with those stupid flipping rubber/plastic spats and make the cab a good 10" wider! More elbow room, proper 3 seat cab etc etc.

why don't theyput the defender badge above the grill anymore?

:D:D:D

Here is one missed oppertunity, why not do away with those stupid flipping rubber/plastic spats and make the cab a good 10" wider! More elbow room, proper 3 seat cab etc etc.

why don't theyput the defender badge above the grill anymore?

Cause the Australian's already did it?? :lol::lol:

post-3156-1184182943_thumb.jpg

It would be a major job to widen the body / bulkhead etc to do away with the arches and not worth the effort. The new dash seems to grow on people from comments I've heard, I like it and have more leg room in the 2007 model than mt old TD5 with the air-con unit stuck under the dash. I guess Mud Rails will solve the issue you found in CSWs without the rear bulkhead.

Just had 2 Brand new defenders through work over the past couple of day's one 110 hard top and one 110 hi-cap now is it me but have Land rover missed quite a few tricks with the new motor i mean yes the dash looks better BUT if your over 6ft in the truck cab your knee is pressed hard up against the New console and it's very uncomfortable ( by the way i know that there isn't much room to start with but the dash isn't quite as intrusive on the model before), the heater vents for keeping your feet warm burn your thigh's? why oh why have they put the engine ECU behind the block don't they know ford can't keep water out of ECU's etc.... Why have they put the dipstick that far back and it fouls on the feeble excuse for a bonnet!! Whats the idea of the arrangement on the passenger side? couldn't they have made a better use of it?? :blink::huh: If you have just bought one sorry for having a go but after looking round and working on brand new Land rover's for years it just wind's me up how rubbish the build quality is and so many missed opportunity's they have had to improve something we all love? again sorry for having a gripe...NO offense meant to anyone (except may be Land rover?) :D

No offence taken. I just ordered mine.

I'm guessing the legroom issue is down to having a pick-up cab as the hardtop I tried was fine with plenty of space between my knee and the dash, even though I'm 6'3".

All the other points will be put down to character, if it was perfect it would be boring. :)

Still have the door catch to pull your back pocket off sometimes.

I have always found them reliable when looked after, but my current one did need a set of brake pads after 52,000 miles :rolleyes: other than a small glitch when it was a week old that involved an hour in the workshop. Maybe I've been lucky?

Rich

Likewise here, certainly a bit more room than the TD5 XS with a/con, Even got SimonR in the drivers seat at Seven Sisters, last weekend :D

No offence taken, but will agreed, am sure the ecu could have been put in a better place :o

Well i agree with the lot of you the hard top was definitely better, talking to the delivery driver today and he's refusing to drive the pick up's over distance because it hurts him to much and i must admit i forgot that the problem's are character I've had land rover's since i past me test 16 years ago and still moan about them :blush::blush: any jobs going on grumpy old men i think I'm qualified :lol::lol: here's a piccie of me trying to fit in said vehicle's... and yes i should lay of the pie's!! :lol::lol:

post-3156-1184263745_thumb.jpg

It would be a major job to widen the body / bulkhead etc to do away with the arches and not worth the effort. The new dash seems to grow on people from comments I've heard, I like it and have more leg room in the 2007 model than mt old TD5 with the air-con unit stuck under the dash. I guess Mud Rails will solve the issue you found in CSWs without the rear bulkhead.

I'm sorry I disagree! A wider cab would make the defender much more comfortable to live with, it would be a major redesign but hey its about bloody time they bought the defender into the present day! More elbow room for the driver for a start, it would also make a 3 seat cab much more useable, for commercial users that need a 3 seat cab without a crewcab. CSW's are a different ball game but they are not really a hard working defender in the lines of utility, forestry, local government or military use like the truck cabs. This thread is about highlighting LR's downfalls/ creating our perfect defender. A wider cab would be of great benefit to commercial users, I think eventually even csw owners would see it of LR ever got off there back side and did some thing ambitious!

Rant over