300 TDi problem

Hi guys,

Got a little problem on a 300 TDi 110 here that has me a little confused...

The symptom is a large puff of black smoke on startup - this occurs when the engine is hot or cold. My initial thought was injectors, but after an "Italian tune up" which normally sorts out most injector problems I have seen, there is no improvement. It hasn't been tuned, and doesn't smoke at full load (well, a haze, but no smoke screen)

So whaddya you reckon? Bite the bullet and fork out for 4x new injectors? Or is there something I am missing?

Yup, my disco is...but this 110 belongs to the local dive club.

They also have another 110 built for desert storm, but never used. V8 on SU's with an R380 behind it - luuuuurvely. First use was 4 years ago. :D

Hmmm...ok, I won't worry then. Was going to tweak the pump for them, but wanted to make sure all was good first.

Hi guys,

Got a little problem on a 300 TDi 110 here that has me a little confused...

The symptom is a large puff of black smoke on startup - this occurs when the engine is hot or cold. My initial thought was injectors, but after an "Italian tune up" which normally sorts out most injector problems I have seen, there is no improvement. It hasn't been tuned, and doesn't smoke at full load (well, a haze, but no smoke screen)

So whaddya you reckon? Bite the bullet and fork out for 4x new injectors? Or is there something I am missing?

Its normal. When the engine is off, the centrifugal governer in the injector pump sets the fuelling to max rich setting. As the engine starts, the governer starts to operate and winds the fuelling back to the idle run setting. Hence the puff of black smoke caused by the fuelling being at the max rich setting initially.