Excess smoke

61a

:ph34r: A few problems with the MOT on my 300TDI today. The most worrying one is excess emitions. The tester said initially it was off the scale but then settled back to about 6.50. It had new injectors just before I brought it last summer , is running on a K&N air filter and generally returns about 33 mpg,and has only covered 50,000 miles since it had a replacement engine.

Anyone got ideas? Would the EGR valve cause such a fluctuation ?

Other annoying failure was the number plate lights , which worked yesterday and worked when I picked it up ! The joy of an 11 year old Disco. Oh and not forgeting the front swivel bearing !!!!

Jules

hello mate i have a 300tdi n plate disco when i first purchased this 1 year ago when you booted it plenty of black smoke removed egr valve cleaned out intercooler and inlet manifold which was coated in a black marmite solution also removed cat it had its mot this tuesday emissions smoke test spot on there is a thread on this forum if you look through chris

Thanks Chris

Another friend has suggested filling it with BP Ultimate as he recons it worked wonders on his 200 TDI. Mind you some of the repairs the previous owner made have been a bit iffy so he probably fitted injectors from a Massey Fergusson !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

Thanks Chris

Another friend has suggested filling it with BP Ultimate as he recons it worked wonders on his 200 TDI. Mind you some of the repairs the previous owner made have been a bit iffy so he probably fitted injectors from a Massey Fergusson !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

dont know about that one look on e bay for a egr blanking plate not expensive i thought i would get away with just disconnecting it but it was jamned open anyway so its gone plate bolted onto turbo looks tidier and as i said no smoke or very little ive also tried millers fuel additive it maybe worth a bottle of redex may help a bit chris

:) I took the Egr off today and I can't really believe the engine was still running as well as it was !!

:ph34r: The inlet pipe was reduced by at least 33% of its internal diameter with thick black gunge. I made a blanking plate up from an off cut of 6mm steel using the old gasket as a template. About 5 minutes with an angle grinder produced a very acceptable modification. A helpfull neighbour brazed up the pipe from the valve so I didn't even have to buy a new pipe. I did buy a new gasket for £3 from a friendly local supplier.

;) To make getting the old allen screws out a bit easier I had been spraying them daily with WD40 and with the aide of a 5mm allen key in the end of a 1/4 " rachet they came out as easily as anything. Reading numerous articles on the web this seems to be one of the biggest headaches.

:D With everthing cleaned up and reassembled I went for a drive to clear the old girl out. Once warmed up I created a minor environmental disaster as I held my foot down in third. Round the roundabout and back down the dual carriageway I repeated the same exercise and could still see the road behind !!! I now have much better mid range acceleration and will be interested to see what happens to the economy. Hopefully the MOT testers machine will give a more favourable result this week.

Thanks for the advice

Jules

nice to see its getting better i removed the cat on mine last january it had its mot last week tester said the smoke tese emissions were spot on a defender front pipe is a direct replacement mine is a 300tdi on a N plate fifteen quid is better than 150 give it a dose of redex that will make a difference chris

Thanks Chris. I suppose as the egr removal only cost 1 1/2 pints I guess if it needs a little more cash its not too bad. I did wonder when I saw the muck inside what state the cat might be in .

Jules

We do so many of these we have had blanking plates made by a laser cutting place. I was getting fed up making them with the angle grinder and drill. (I removed 2 EGR's from TD5's today). I wonder what we could use those fancy pipes for? Seems a pity to throw them away..

I thought that diesels weren't tested for emissions, as such ie. carbon monoxide, Nitrous Oxide etc. Do they have a machine to check for particulate emissions?

(Not that we have such a test here, yet). We still remove EGRs and Cats on principle. I mean, how would you like your exhaust connected to your inlet :o

I thought that diesels weren't tested for emissions, as such ie. carbon monoxide, Nitrous Oxide etc. Do they have a machine to check for particulate emissions?

(Not that we have such a test here, yet). We still remove EGRs and Cats on principle. I mean, how would you like your exhaust connected to your inlet :o

jim mine went for mot last week thay only do a smoke test basically engine hot then rev for a reading then rev again for another reading the lowest reading is taken when thay first started doing it over here cam belts were breaking some garages as far as i am aware make you sign a paper to stop you claiming against them