For interest / warning: Steering relay failure

FridgeFreezer

Mine went in a similar fashion but with a cleaner break, plus i twisted another after an incident with a roundabout........................ :ph34r:

Grem

Is that cos its seized internally? the failure looks like a shear failure, it must have failed in 1 go rather than a fatigue crack as there is no rust colour in the break - its the same colour all the way through.

Had mine do a similar thing, though there was a bit sticking up from the relay, enough to weld it back together. Looked like it had an air bubble in it. It broke halfway through Golden Spike trail in Moab, so I had to leave the truck overnight, get the relay welded, then drive it out the next day.

Is that cos its seized internally? the failure looks like a shear failure, it must have failed in 1 go rather than a fatigue crack as there is no rust colour in the break - its the same colour all the way through.

There is along the outside of the break, especially visible in the 1st pic.

There is along the outside of the break, especially visible in the 1st pic.

yer but, only a tiny amount, the colour is mostly the same all the way through, so failure was rapid across the shaft rather than failing say halfway then breaking at a later date.

yer but, only a tiny amount, the colour is mostly the same all the way through, so failure was rapid across the shaft rather than failing say halfway then breaking at a later date.

I have seen similar in a lot of fractures. Just that little start of a crack must really weaken the structure. My relay also had a tiny bit of rust along what was a small crack, but I imagine the air bubble is why the crack started in the first place.