td5 engine life expectancy

Mines a mere youngster at 92000, no problems apart from oil in the loom cos' previous owner didn't bother with warranty stuff.

Gearbox is DIYable, depends on facilities you have as to how difficult it is. You can take Tbox off seperately to make it more manageable. How noisy is it?

Mines a mere youngster at 92000, no problems apart from oil in the loom cos' previous owner didn't bother with warranty stuff.

Gearbox is DIYable, depends on facilities you have as to how difficult it is. You can take Tbox off seperately to make it more manageable. How noisy is it?

only quite gear is 4th, dont think there is much life left, changed oil that made it quieter for a week or two, can get a local garage to change for about £250 (labour) is this good value?

only quite gear is 4th, dont think there is much life left, changed oil that made it quieter for a week or two, can get a local garage to change for about £250 (labour) is this good value?

Not bad, Ashcrofts charge about £400 if you deduct the cost of the box and clutch off their £975 quote. Be prepared to allow for a new flywheel though, early ones were prone to cracking but should be OK on an 02

My '00 disco td5 has 200000 miles on the clock, almost every mile with a very big trailer. Only thing I've ever replaced is the starter. Even on it's original clutch (which is now getting a noisy bearing). It still doesn't use a single drop of oil.

I do have a spare 10000 mile TD5 engine ready, in case my old one dies suddenly, this Disco must keep running..

The TD5 doesn't last long when the oil pump chain breaks.... Another superb design feature by LR. I reckon they were about to start the first engine and...

1st Engineer: OK, start her up.

2nd Engineer: Hang on, where's the oil pressure gauge?

3rd Engineer: Where's the oil pump, come to think of it?

1st Engineer: The 4th engineer was supposed to do that.

2nd Engineer: He got run over by a bus a year ago...

3rd Engineer: I have this wonderful idea, how about we ....

(to be continued)