timing belt 200 tdi

the timing belt in my 200tdi 90 was replaced just beforE the last competition. was done by someone with experience and the spanner roll was changed at the same time. a new dayco belt was used, torque settings as in the book, bolt securing the spanner was loctited. so should have been ok. nevertheless, the new belt failed after roughly 600 miles. it was competition use, so heavy going, with hot engine lots of water crossings and deep mud and sand, but it surely should last longer than that! engine just sopped in idle just after full throttle through a mud hole. when we opened the timing cover there was no evidence of dirt or water, the spanner hadn't slipped. anyone had this before?

most of the con rods were bent, those were replaced and the engine ran fine with a new belt, so at least i was lucky.

confused by 'spanner roll' do you mean the tensioner, 200Tdi's are normally very kind to their timing belts, yours must have sucked in water to bend the conrods, usually if a timing belt breaks only the rocker pushrods get bent.

I'd suggest water got in your engine, locked the crank/bent the conrods, and the belt snapped as a result.

I've never known conrods to bend after a belt snapping - there are too many other more delicate things in the way, such as rockers, pushrods, and valves.

Les.

sorry for the confusion, yes i meant the tensioner. and not the con rods were bent but the push rods.

can't imagin water was the issue, puddle wasn't that deep and it has a (water tight!) snorkel.

Ah, that make more sense,

is the tensioner free running ?

is the cam timing gear & it's bolt secure ? [mine came undone & killed 4 pushrods]

is the cam gear keyway & woodruff key/cam recess undamged ?

only other cause I can think of is that the belt tension was to tight & caused the belt prematurly fail.

Ah, that make more sense,

is the tensioner free running ?

is the cam timing gear & it's bolt secure ? [mine came undone & killed 4 pushrods]

is the cam gear keyway & woodruff key/cam recess undamged ?

only other cause I can think of is that the belt tension was to tight & caused the belt prematurly fail.

tensioner seemed free running. rest of it i didn't check since i was reparing it somewhere in a polish swamp in pooring rain :blink: but seemed ok.

I did the timing belt on my 200 TDI at the end of last summer.

Not certain what make of belt I used but was a genuine Land Rover part, also changed the tensioner.

The only other thing I can think of is, was it tensioned correctly i.e with a dial type torque wrench.

I ended up doing this twice, as fitted & tensioned the belt then turned the engine over quite a few times before re-tensioning. Its now done 5K without incident including some hard use.

Rod

tension was fine, did the same thing tensioned it, turned the engine over a couple of times, tensioned it again. should have been fine. belt ripped apart sort of looks like there was some mechanical resistance somewhere, but wouldn't know where. will take the head off and have a look.

tensioner seemed free running. rest of it i didn't check since i was reparing it somewhere in a polish swamp in pooring rain :blink: but seemed ok.

Ok, wasn't sure of your location when it all went wrong, as the pulley was still in it's correct place, It'll be fine.

If the tensioner wasn't properly lubricated at manufacture, then it would seize when hot, but may then free off once it's cooled down. The only way to check this would be to cut the tensiner through the wheel and see if it's full of grease.

Les.

this isn't going to help much but i had a cam belt snap no my disco engine (it was 10,000 miles short of change time) so replaced this. 6 months later (under 10k) got a serious rattle traced to timing cover so stripped it all down to descover the engine front cover (alloy bit the belt runs inside) had failed where the idler bearing bolts on the alloy casting had cracked this alowed the idler to flex thus nearly wipeing out another belt. replaced all this new casing, belt and bearings 6 months later (less than 10k again) the belt snapped again to this day i still don't know what caused the third failuer it's still going fine now (done about 15k so far) but still nervous all the belts were dayco belts if it ever goes again i'll be using gen landrover

mike

If the tensioner wasn't properly lubricated at manufacture, then it would seize when hot, but may then free off once it's cooled down. The only way to check this would be to cut the tensiner through the wheel and see if it's full of grease.

Les.

took a close look at the belt today. seemed like it had been under stress, it has ripped right through in one place, but i found smaller damages in others. tensioner may be an explanaition and would explain the stress. furthermore couldn't read the print on the outside of the belt, seems strange just after 500 miles? will take it apart again and check.

cheers

orange

dayco make the genuine belts for LR

another thing, showed the belt to a mechanik yesterday, he said that he'd changed a belt on a 200tdi last week, took a genuine one from land rover and the belt was considerable thicker than the dayco belt i got from paddocks. can anyone confirm that?

cheers

orange

Hmmm, it might be Gates that make the timing belts for LR then, but I thought they only made the 300Tdi's serpentine belt for LR, I always fit Dayco timing belt & never had one fail in 13 years. everytime it's been changed @ 50,000mile intervals, the belt looks just as good as when it was fitted.