Drop Arm Ball Joint

davidlandy

I today changed a kapput drop arm ball joint on my 90 - the arm wouldnt come off so I had to do it in situ which was entertaining...getting the top part out of the arm was tricky, as was getting the new one in!

anyway I fitted all of the parts but had a part left over which I couldnt work out where it was supposed to go. I can only describe it as a metal 'collar' thats the same diameter as the hole in the drop arm.

any ideas?

Take the rim collar in your right hand, turn it so that the widest part is uppermost and then hoy it in the bin. :D

Les.

funny, that's exactly what I did, Les ;)

just a thought, try and use a moly fortified grease when re-packing the joint, particularly a Calcium Sulfonate based one if available. Calcium Sulfonate grease is pretty much water proof and resists corrosion better than a lithium or aluminium base.

CAT use a 5% moly calcium sulfonate grease for chassis lube on the big gear.

I find your use of 'hoy' interesting, Les. I would have thought this to be a South-Africanism as it comes from Afrikaans 'gooi' where the g is pronounced rather like the Scots ch in loch. Sorry, 'gooi' means 'to throw', and is often used by non-Afrikaans speakers (like me). Is it a common Brit usage? (I've been here too long to tell).

Hoy seems to be a word that Geordie, Dutch and Afrikaans have in common. I do now remember that the Geordies used that word. At one time I could understand Geordie quite well. We used to sing 'The Lampton Warm' in cockney to drive Geordies up the wall :P

As has been said hoy is Geordie.

So is cuddy. Now that word is very different in southern england to the Geordie one.

Gowk, or gouk meaning core is another Gerdie word. As in apple gowk. I also found out that it means the center core of a four strand rope for the shrouds.

Now how about canny.

mike

If, or when, the joint cover rips, through being twisted as the pin twists within the outer, you will have learnt the possible benefit of having the the collar on the shaft instead of in the bin.

I'm not saying it's a serious issue, just saying there is a reason for it.

Cheers.

the rubber boot seems to be able to twist quite freely without it (the collar) on mine. Its only held on by a metallic hair band kind of spring. I also tried to fit it on there yesterday when I was trying to find out where it went, and it wouldnt fit - the diameter was clearly too small.

seems to me that the bin was still appropriate!