INCREASE THE PERFORMANCE OF MY 300tdi??

dougstar

HI GUYS I,M REALLY NEW AND VIRGIN LIKE TO THIS FORUM LARK!

I HAVE A 1996 300TDI DISCO, AND AM PLANNING ON DOING THE FOLLOWING WORK ASAP

BLANK OFF EGR PLATE

NEW SILICONE TURBO HOSES

BIN THE CAT PIPE AND REPLACE WITH DEFENDER 90

ALLISPORT FULL WIDTH INTERCOOLER

RIP OUT THE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAD ANY TIPS FOR ME ON THE ABOVE MATTERS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM THEM, I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET SINCE A SIMPLE HEAT PLUG EXCHANGE THIS MORNING HAS TURNED OUT IN ME SEEING MY BOOTY BIG TIME WITH THE DAMN AIR CON (WHO'S IDEA WAS THAT TO PUT THE COMPRESSOR IN THE WAY OF PLUG No 1?)AND WANTING TO RIP IT OUT!!

NICE TO BE ON BOARD NOW HERE AT LR4X4

CHEERS :wub::P

What you are to do to your 300tdi sounds right to me. There is more you can do after you have done that lot.

Err... Please write in normal lower case, what you are doing is called 'SHOUTING' and is considered to be not nice. After all, you don't want to be taken for a Nigerian 419 scammer, do you? If you do happen to be Nigerian I take that back :rolleyes:

And the colour you are using makes your post hard to read.

I've just removed the egr, should have done it last year when I first got my 300 TDI. One other thing I found help initially was a K&N air filter. You could hear the air going in which was astounding considering the state of the inlet pipe from the egr!!!

Jules

Hello,

Do remember that everything you list will improve the performance, however you waont see any massive changes until you tweak the fuel pump.

on my Disco 300tdi auto I did the following:

- Allisport Intercooler (std size as I wanted to keep my aircon and it does not make a big difference bwteen the std size or the big one)

- Allsport re-chipping (as I have electronic fuel pump)

- Allsport silicone hoses

- EGR removed (blank plate from LR dealer - the cheapest !!!)

- cat removed (put a non cat disco downpipe - the Defender one does not have the flexi bit)

- ITG air filter (from Allisport)

hope it helps

Xavier

What you are to do to your 300tdi sounds right to me. There is more you can do after you have done that lot.

Err... Please write in normal lower case, what you are doing is called 'SHOUTING' and is considered to be not nice. After all, you don't want to be taken for a Nigerian 419 scammer, do you? If you do happen to be Nigerian I take that back :rolleyes:

sorry mate did,t realise i was shouting at you there will try and keep my voice down in future.

regards

dougstar, I didn't realise the colour was not your fault, apparently it is because you are new your posts need 'moderator approval'.

61a: it's no wonder you could hear the air going in with a K&N (shudder). That's because there is no real filtering effect. I see you live in East Sussex, I don't reckon there is much dust about there. Just don't go anywhere where there is some dust like Spain or certainly not to Africa.

dougstar, I didn't realise the colour was not your fault, apparently it is because you are new your posts need 'moderator approval'.

61a: it's no wonder you could hear the air going in with a K&N (shudder). That's because there is no real filtering effect. I see you live in East Sussex, I don't reckon there is much dust about there. Just don't go anywhere where there is some dust like Spain or certainly not to Africa.

We usually have a bit of dust in the south east by this time of year, but we are getting that much rain I'm begining to think a snorkel maybe called for soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

You could always add another 4 cylinders in a V configuration

and make it run on petrol rather than diseasel.

:ph34r::lol::lol:

Silly idea, will never catch on :ph34r: :ph34r:

"We usually have a bit of dust in the south east by this time of year, but we are getting that much rain I'm begining to think a snorkel maybe called for soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules"

I had a snorkel (Mantec) and thought that it would help a lot by cutting the dust down as the air tends to be cleaner up there. I still have the Mantec, but use paper air filters now.

I hear from my relatives that it is a bit wet over there. Maybe you should take up scuba diving :D

EGR: What is the purpose of the EGR? I read many articles about the gain there is on performance and fuel consumption after the removal (blanking off) of the EGR. Will this action not have a negative spin-off in terms of life expectancy as it was fitted as OE on the Tdi's?

The EGR system was fitted to reduce emissions not increase the longevity of the engine. when they fail they tend to allow hot exhuast gas in to the inlet tract all the time, making the engine less efficient and also clogging the inlet tract with a thick black sludge thus restricting the airflow. By removing the EGR and cleaning the inlet tract the engine gets to work properly again hense the improvements in performance and drop in fuel consumption.

HTH

Pete.

The EGR system was fitted to reduce emissions not increase the longevity of the engine. when they fail they tend to allow hot exhuast gas in to the inlet tract all the time, making the engine less efficient and also clogging the inlet tract with a thick black sludge thus restricting the airflow. By removing the EGR and cleaning the inlet tract the engine gets to work properly again hense the improvements in performance and drop in fuel consumption.

HTH

Pete.

Thanks Pete, but now the next question, how do I do this, are there any special precautions. Looking at the EGR unit, it has a number of piping connections. If I am correct it is the unit mounted on the engine side of the passanger side fender (right hand drive model) ?

yes it is mate however,

make sure you put plenty of easol/wd40 on there and use a decent 6 point 10mm socket to undo them as i found out after being lazy and not walking the 7m back to get it and instead used my 12 point 10mm and the first bolt rounded off therfore creating a painfull 60 minutes cutting through the gasket and bolt with a taped up hacksaw blade.

the bottom one however came off a treat with plenty of easol and my 6 point 10mm!!!! :angry:

I couldn't shift the EGR to exhaust manifold bolts on mine, despite soaking for several days with plus gas - they didn't round, they just wouldn't budge. At least not without enough force to risk shearing them and make a much bigger problem. I left the EGR valve in place and fitted the blanking plate between the inlet top pipe and EGR sealing it there.

Yes, you don't HAVE to remove the egr valve, or even blank off the pipes if you don't want to. Just disconnect it. But throwing the whole shebang away makes one feel better :)

Disconnecting it will only work if you catch it before it seizes open, though...

Extra Questions

Interesting reading, can i ask what the gains will be, ie fuel, power, or just better running

Also could i ask if there are any pictures as there is a lot of pipes, how much needs removing

Has any one done a step by step guide to this little project,

Sorry for jumping in on the original question

Ziggy

I couldn't shift the EGR to exhaust manifold bolts on mine, despite soaking for several days with plus gas

Keep using the plus gas and then try the bolts again after you've been for a good run in the Disco so the engine is nice and hot. This should help "unstick" the bolts, but mind your hands as you will get burnt. I did the above plus about a whole tin of WD40 and it took a lot of effort for the bolts to come out.

Good luck! :)

thanks for the tips and advice guys! i have now completed the egr blanking,cat removal,up-rated larger allisport intercooler,silicone hoses and valve clearences.

not being a scientist and only changing 1 yhing at a time i jumped in and did the lot in one go, however it now runs like a right dream alot more power low down pulling away in all the gears right through the turbo, it feels alot faster.

however as for fuel consumption i am not sure the outcome yet as have not been far (just in-case!), however have a trip towing my pikey van to cornwall this week so will inform of any improvements.

Chances are your fuel consumption will be better as your engine is more efficient. If you USE all the extra power it might get worse. eg LR insists the fuel consumption of the TD5 is better than the Tdi, but most drivers get pretty terrible consumption because they drive faster.

'Gawd, wish I'd read this sooner.

My 110 300Tdi has seen a steady improvement in performance in the last 12 months.

Can't argue with anything you guys have done. But, in all fairness, try Brunel for your intercooler next time. They're cheaper, just as well (if not better) made and their standard unit has a thicker core than Allisport's version.

I paid £295 for mine (fitted) at Billing last weekend.

The full-width intercoolers only yield an extra 7bhp and are far more expensive.

Another thing I have found that helped in fuel consumption and general running was to use BP Ultimate fuel. That combined with a new set of Cooper ATR's and taking the EGR off has increased the mpg to 37. (I have no connection with either company but I'm just a satisfied customer ) Not bad for a big old bus with 134,000 on the clock and rarely doing more than 15 miles in one go.

Jules