INCREASE THE PERFORMANCE OF MY 300tdi??

dougstar

hi guys i,m back from cornwall............

whats this 37 to the gallon lark??

i drove down there with my new allisport intercooler, EGR blanked off, valve clearences done. new hoses, air con abolished! allisport recommend air filter, clean oil/filter/fuel filter,belts and coolent and i just got exactly 20 yes 20 to the gallon towing a caravan!!

whilst down in cornwall i did a further tank full still only getting 28 to the gallon!! am i missing something really big(there where a awfull lot of very steep hills and tight lanes (low gear high revs) that i came across every day)..........

does this sound ok to you??? i was however not towing on the later part.

let me know your MPG ratings and what you think improves them cause i need to sort something before i line mr browns pockets too much with the fuel duty i am paying currently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first got my 300 TDI about a year ago it was doing around 28 mpg. Since then I have been gradually improving its performance and as a consequence its economy. Removing the viscous fan and replacing it with a Pacet one made a negligable improvement but chucking out the old air filter and fitting a K & N one took the mpg over 30. Recently because of an MOT failure and constant naging from anyone who knew about such things I removed the EGR. At the same time it had acomplete set of new tyres , an oil and filter change and the valve clearences adjusted. Next 500 miles returned 37 mpg plus much improved mid range acceleration. I always use original filters and good quality oil and change every 6 months reguardless of mileage. Last time 3000 between oil changes.

About 15 years ago I went on a visit to the Transport and Road Research Establishment and was told by one of their boffins that good quality oil and filters changed at half the manufacturers recommended intervals would result in almost no significant engine wear. Not being a high mileage driver in my own vehicles I have always stuck to this and always achieved well in excess of quoted economy figures.

I have spent a large part of my working life scrapping the remains of people and vehicles off the road I suppose I am a bit of a stickler for regular maintainance, correct tyre pressures etc.

Jules :D