wiper switch

I purchased a Series wiper motor from Paddocks, turned out to be late Series III/Defender and it did not come with a wiring diagram the old one adjacent to it was only with a single speed switch and the wiring for it was ripped out along with the rest of the incinerated wiring during the rebuild.

Despite the differences it fits well and all the linkage is sorted out, just the electrics left.

Any ideas how to wire in this one?

How many speed settings and which switch would be appropriate?

Do you think I'll need a relay?

I also purchased a washer motor as opposed to the old manual thumb pump, I do not know if these are all incorporated in the Defenders or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-3836-1184540493_thumb.jpg

If it has red and blue wires coming from the motor to the park switch/connector its single speed, if it has a yellow wire as well its 2 speed. Blue earth, 12v on red slow speed, 12v on yellow fast speed. Intermittent needs a relay. Im sure someone will post the wiring diagram on here...

A series off, on, on switch such as the headlight switch will be the most basic way to wire but it won't self park. For proper parking, the series/defender stalk switch is really needed. Any old on off switch will do for the pump, they only draw a couple of amps.

As you can see from the attached,the wiring is brown, yellow and black. I don't know how much of a difference this makes.

Thats 2 speed, black with tracer is earth, red(brown) slow speed, yellow fast speed. I don't have the wiring diagram for front wipers to hand but I suspect Western will be along soon with the correct page from the manual...

90/110 front wiper wires are

black - earth

green - power in

brown/light green

blue/light green

red/light green

without dismntling my own '89 110 I'm not sure which colour wire does what.

U got the cct diagram Western? Gemini is wiring up from scratch...

green is perm 12V, brown green is park, blue light green is speed 2, red green is normal speed. Loom colours are different to the motor...

Thing is the circuit diagram doesn't show the connections at the column switch end, just a big circle representation of the coloumn switches, so it wouldn't be of much help.

here's a Defender circuit diagram

File0021.jpg

File0022.jpg

Edited by western

Thing is the circuit diagram doesn't show the connections at the column switch end, just a big circle representation of the coloumn switches, so it wouldn't be of much help.

Hmm typical car wiring diagrams! why can't they ever be drawn like proper cct diagrams...I haven't got my series 3 Haynes Manual to hand, but I think thats got a simplier cct which will probably do for gemini, anyone able to scan it in ( ooh copyright..)

Hey no worries guys, I can dig the Series IIa or III diagram out

Just the colours didn't match and caused some confusion I don't think the Series had any relays though.

Thank's for all your help.

Looks like I'm going to have to come up with a custom diagram, use RR for the engine and Series for everything else and throw in a few relays.

It's times like this when a Hybrid Forum would be useful.

Ok, use the cct diagram below, this will give you single speed wipers. Colours refer to the series3/90/110 loom colours. Its for rear wiper but will work with fronts. Switch shown is the series 3 round type which is the same as whats used on a 90/110 for rear wipers - term numbers are marked on it. The cct will give you self park. I've included a pick of the motor connector. If you haven't got that to hand use crimp females - note colour code. The unused terminal is where the green/blue for fast speed attaches to - this links to yellow on your motor. If you want 2 speeds you are going to have to use a stalk switch to get the park bit to work, or faff about with relays. If you use that switch, washer switch is included, its the green and black bit on the back of the switch which is busted in my pic...No relays required unless you want intermittent when it gets a whole lot more complicated, I've done int front wipe on a series, but you need to have a different switch, an int relay and a dpdt relay.....

post-237-1184773273_thumb.jpg

post-237-1184773321_thumb.jpg

post-237-1184773366_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Simon,

I guess in time when I get a little more proficient with the wiring I might attempt getting the extra settings out of it, but for now I'll go with that. It's better to have one setting that works well and reliable, than many that have a mind of their own.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the front wiper section of my 110's old main loom in my garage, yours if you can make use of it.

this is it, includes the wiper motor plug & multiplug to column stalk, cut wires are for power from fusebox [dark green] & wash pump [light green/black tracer]

if you want it just PM your postal address, otherwise it'll get binned/recycled :D

post-20-1186160451_thumb.jpg

Edited by western
photo added