Decent multi-way connectors

The Mk1 ceiling-mounted dashboard in the 109 is in need of relocation and redesign, I'd like to make the thing modular so I can unplug things to work on it or tinker with stuff.

However, I'm struggling to find decent connectors that do what I want - I need several multi-way connectors (biggest being the 37-way of the MS) that can take a decent number of amps, are reasonably robust and won't murder my credit card.

So far the best thing I can find for value is to use standard D connectors for 90% of it and then hybrid-D connectors for the engine loom to include fans and fuel pumps. These have a number of standard 5A pins and then the big holes you can put either co-ax connectors or power connectors that will take up to 40A.

R484903-01.jpg

You can buy decent die-cast backshells for these and they're a fairly universal thing - I'm struggling to find a better alternative, there are some big bad military style connectors out there but they're megabucks and either over-complex (special crimping tools etc.) or just blummin' huge. I don't really need IP67 sealed as the thing is mounted to the ceiling so if it gets properly wet there's a bigger problem :ph34r:

I've not found anything better than a standard D connector, there's Junior Timer Connectors, as used on a lot of cars, but they just don't go up to the sizes a D can offer.

I tried a circular connector, it was more rugged than a D connector, but the pin density was low, 25 pins came out at something like 60mm od.

The Mk1 ceiling-mounted dashboard in the 109 is in need of relocation and redesign, I'd like to make the thing modular so I can unplug things to work on it or tinker with stuff.

However, I'm struggling to find decent connectors that do what I want - I need several multi-way connectors (biggest being the 37-way of the MS) that can take a decent number of amps, are reasonably robust and won't murder my credit card.

( ... )

Make a visit to your local tractor place. Oversize "D" type connectors are commonly used to connect the wirering loom from the engine to the tractor body. (When you change clutch on a tractor, you separate the engine and tractor body - therefore the wirering loom is often made with some kind of quick release electrical connector.)

The type used on old Fiat tractors (70-90 or similar) would suit your application fine. All the individual connectors are rated at 30 amp, and - if I remember correctly - there are 20 individual connectors in each. The wires are secured to the pins with a small screw, so no need for special crimping tools-

If cost is an issue, then find a scrapyard who breaks old tractors. Such connectors are rather common and cheap such places - at least around here...

Edited to add: I could take a photo of such a connector as used on my tractor and post here, if this could help you. Just let me know.

How about Varicon connectors (as used in broadcasting) - up to 56 way (and maybe a lot more)

Or Amphenol mil-spec connectors.

Or even the old centronics connectors used for parallel printers - these have a decent contact area and current handling capability.

Si

How about Varicon connectors (as used in broadcasting) - up to 56 way (and maybe a lot more)

Or Amphenol mil-spec connectors.

Or even the old centronics connectors used for parallel printers - these have a decent contact area and current handling capability.

Si

We used Amphenol plugs and sockets on all our trials gear when in an earlier life I worked in the Civilian MoD.

Have used the very same on old Laser #1 (she is coming 20 years of age, poor old girl) and never but never had a problem with Amphenol.

Interesting thread, can I join in please - wiv an extra Q or 3 please ? :lol:

I am wondering what the thoughts are from those who know re these multiplugs :

Weatherproof connectors.

Supplied in sets of male & female housings, centre & end seals,

terminals and terminal locking plates.

Overall dimensions: (6 way) 22x29x44mm.

For cables up to 1.0 mm2.

Prices shown for connectors are for complete sets,

including both halves and terminals.

These I was thinking of using as they are apparently 'close to waterproof',

and I would like to know if they are suitable for

Throttle position sensor (3 way)

Fuel Pump (2 way)

Lamda Sensor (2 way)

If not I was wondering about using RISTS plugs - which I know are waterproof can't find a pick of them, but what about this lot underneath ?....comments as to suitbality re the above ??

post-22-1184621156.gif

which I think are these ?

post-22-1184621741_thumb.jpg

Also found these - can an elecrical grown up tell me if / why these are any better ?

post-22-1184621800_thumb.jpg

amd lastly anyone know about these ?

post-22-1184621823_thumb.jpg

Ta

Nige

FF, what do you want? (ways, amps, shape) I have stock through work to a few freebees.

For most things it's 5A per pin (the MS uses stock DB37 to drive injectors & coils) but for things like headlights and cooling fans I really need a few more amps, if only to give a safety margin. I'd guess headlamps would be happy with 10-20A contacts and fans I reckon 30 or 40A contacts would be a good thing.

Although there are a few automotive connectors out there that come close, they're either not as nicely made or more expensive than the D connectors. I like the fact they're small, plentiful and the contacts are properly retained not "clipped in" like many of the automotive ones - and you don't have to pull the contact out of the thing to re-terminate it.

Guest diesel_jim

Those red & yellow "near to waterproof" ones that HFH posted, i use these on my 90.

to quote Kellogs...."They're greeeeeeeaaat"

a bit fiddly to assemble, you have to be quite neat on the soldering, especially if you're using big guage wire, but once done they are very tidy. my cubby box is wired with them, and that has internal winch controls, ARB compressor power & switches and a few other things.

Those red & yellow "near to waterproof" ones that HFH posted, i use these on my 90.

to quote Kellogs...."They're greeeeeeeaaat"

a bit fiddly to assemble, you have to be quite neat on the soldering, especially if you're using big guage wire, but once done they are very tidy. my cubby box is wired with them, and that has internal winch controls, ARB compressor power & switches and a few other things.

HMMMM :)

Well, thats good to know.

Anyone like to advise what a 3.9EFI Fuel pump can maybe pull amps wise at full chat - and are these up to the current handling ? TPS I guess is OK as megalow amps, heated Lamda too ?...again thoughts ?

Nige

Fuel pumps usually run a 10A fuse, so it's less than that :P and I have teed the heater for lambda sensors off the fuel pump feed many times with no trouble, I think they draw 1-2A max.

Sensors and signal wires are all in the milliamps, I use 0.5mmsq where I can to make it easy to solder to the D plug although you can't get stripy 0.5mm wire :(

Daan, where can you get hold of sureseal stuff? There the only weatherproof connectors I've seen so far that go up to 10 way (useful for cab electrics).

I've got this 'fun' at the moment. Luckily I've only got to source parts while someone else does the wiring :)