TD5 warranty, recalls...?

Hi,

I picked up on this from another members question but didn't want to hijack his thread..

Oil in the wiring loom is mentioned, I have a 1998 110 TD5 with as yet no history, how would I tell if it has suffered from this problem, where to look etc...?

cheers

db

Hi,

I picked up on this from another members question but didn't want to hijack his thread..

Oil in the wiring loom is mentioned, I have a 1998 110 TD5 with as yet no history, how would I tell if it has suffered from this problem, where to look etc...?

cheers

db

Have a read here: http://web-rover.co.uk/nav.php?p=td5kb/oilharness

Not all Td5's suffer from this, and as long as it's picked up shouldn't cause any problems.

Have a look at the red plug on the ECU (unplug it from the ECU with the ignition off)... if it's suffering from oil in the injector loom the red engine harness plug will have oil in it ;)

If it has got oil in it... usually fitting a later (improved seal) injector harness should solve the problem... it is only in the worse case that you will need a new main engine harness.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Just checked the ECU red plug, all dry, there is a little oil in the plug just left of the engine at the front as to be expected i guess.. I'll give it a clean just to be sure and keep an eye on it...

thanks for you help..

regards

Dave

Thanks Ian,

Just checked the ECU red plug, all dry, there is a little oil in the plug just left of the engine at the front as to be expected i guess.. I'll give it a clean just to be sure and keep an eye on it...

thanks for you help..

regards

Dave

You're lucky as most others seem to be and either not have the problem or had the injector harness changed. You could look at the label on the injector harness itself and see if there is a date on it or part number, unfortunately this means taking the rocker cover off. The injector loom is cheap anyway, may be worth doing.

The previous owner of mine didn't bother with warranty stuff or dealer servicing, knew that when I bought it. I had oil in the ecu and loom with a misfire over 2500rpm. Changed the injector harness (was the original, had same date as build) and flushed everything out with brake cleaner. Misfire went for a bit but comes back with residue of oil in engine loom. After repeated flushing, I've given up and just ordered an engine loom at nearly £400 :angry:

What we do is change the injector harness, clean the oil out of the ECU plug but then deliberately destroy the seal between the injector harness and engine harness. This stops pressure pushing more oil down the engine harness. If the injector harness leaks the oil will just make the front of the engine a bit oily, and you can't see it anyway because of the placky cover. Works for us, we have never changed an engine harness yet, and many injector harnesses.

• 4 weeks later...

Hewarya fellas, been a while! Just getting back into my Td5 conversion to my classic Rangey now that I've officially finished work and am a free man! Hope you're all well!

Was driving the Rangey I bought with the Td5 already fitted at the weekend and she's lovely bar this misfire up over 2.5k rpm. To a petrol man it really feels like the weak spark problem generated by a dicky ignition amplifier, but thats obviously not it.

So after reading this thread it could be the old oil in the loom thing?

But are there other known/common Td5 problems that would cause a miss under load?

Oh and thats a smart preventative fix guys - breaking the seal, I'll remember that!

George