2" Tow hitch

Gringo

I am having a devil of a time locating a US source for some means of towing a boat trailer behind our 2006 Defender 90. It seems the US suppliers do not carry any parts for Defenders past the 97 model year. And the UK suppliers are talking about 50 mm tow ball diameters. Surely there must be someone out there who makes a tow hitch or a step bumper with a receiver mount that will allow me to tow a trailer with a 2" hitch???

Surely all you need is a 2" receiver kit for your 90 (from anywhere, the UK most likely), and then a 2" receiver 2" ball from the US.

Sounds like confusion over the receiver/hitch, and the ball.

yes, I think so. I tried to contact the people at Discoparts ( from Brett's post, above) to ask if they could sell me the receiver kit without the drop plate and the 50 mm ball, but they havent responded. Suppliers in the US ( DAP) tell me theres no such thing as a receiver hitch for a Defender...sigh....

I think thats because the newest Defender they have seen in the US is the 97 model, so they dont bother building parts for anything after that.

Can you suggest a supplier ANYWHERE that A.) has the receiver kit, B.) will ship outside the UK, and C.) bothers to answer emails?

Thanks

yes, I think so. I tried to contact the people at Discoparts ( from Brett's post, above) to ask if they could sell me the receiver kit without the drop plate and the 50 mm ball, but they havent responded. Suppliers in the US ( DAP) tell me theres no such thing as a receiver hitch for a Defender...sigh....

I think thats because the newest Defender they have seen in the US is the 97 model, so they dont bother building parts for anything after that.

Can you suggest a supplier ANYWHERE that A.) has the receiver kit, B.) will ship outside the UK, and C.) bothers to answer emails?

Thanks

Gringo,

The Guys from Discoparts are at the Land Rover Show at Billing so the shop is closed until next week. Try calling them next week. I found there service very good.

If you can't get it in the UK, then:

Rovers North Hitches - bottom of the page

RNA091.jpgRNH110.jpg

Rover's North + 1 802 879-0032

It'll be the first time anyone has called from the UK to get a Land Roverpart! :lol:

Thanks RPR, I have been trying to contact Rovers North via email for three days. They dont answer. 800 phone numbers dont work from here.

Also, their prices are absolutely outrageous. That hitch is listed at $229 on the catalog page, but when you put it in their website "cart", the price jumps to $ 459. Their rear spare tire carrier for the Defender 90 soft top...$ 1,142. There is also a "BRACKET - SPARE WH CARRIER DEFENDER 90 SOFT TOP listed at $ 156. But they dont tell you if you need the bracket to use the carrier. And of course there's no photo of either, so its not easy to picture just what they are selling.

But I am having a problem with spending almost $ 1800 for a tow hitch and a tire carrier.

Thats so out of line its ridiculous. I could have one of my kids trained as a welder and buy him the materials and tools for what they want for just those two pieces..

I am not in the UK, by the way. I am in the BWI.

Maybe someone at Rovers North will answer my emails today. I hope so. I would like to find out which price is correct for the hitch, and WTF is going on with their tire carrier prices.

Thanks RPR, I have been trying to contact Rovers North via email for three days. They dont answer. 800 phone numbers dont work from here.

Also, their prices are absolutely outrageous. That hitch is listed at $229 on the catalog page, but when you put it in their website "cart", the price jumps to $ 459. Their rear spare tire carrier for the Defender 90 soft top...$ 1,142. There is also a "BRACKET - SPARE WH CARRIER DEFENDER 90 SOFT TOP listed at $ 156. But they dont tell you if you need the bracket to use the carrier. And of course there's no photo of either, so its not easy to picture just what they are selling.

But I am having a problem with spending almost $ 1800 for a tow hitch and a tire carrier.

Thats so out of line its ridiculous. I could have one of my kids trained as a welder and buy him the materials and tools for what they want for just those two pieces..

I am not in the UK, by the way. I am in the BWI.

Maybe someone at Rovers North will answer my emails today. I hope so. I would like to find out which price is correct for the hitch, and WTF is going on with their tire carrier prices.

Gringo, it is very unlikely that you will find a 2ins ball with a standard UK spec 2 bolt fitting.

Why not get the Nas90 step rear bumper, use your 2ins receptor with Ø2ins ball? I posted the LR part No. some weeks ago and it is probably available in the UK just needs a big envelope to get to Jamaica or werever you reside?

Gringo, it is very unlikely that you will find a 2ins ball with a standard UK spec 2 bolt fitting.

Why not get the Nas90 step rear bumper, use your 2ins receptor with Ø2ins ball? I posted the LR part No. some weeks ago and it is probably available in the UK just needs a big envelope to get to Jamaica or werever you reside?

Yes, I know. And I thank you, but its still not very clear. You posted the part number "ANR2786" and the catalogues specify that for Defenders from '94-'97. the other number posted was "STC50269AA" along with photos, but that is not a receiver-type hitch. And it uses a plate and ball assembly that comes in 50 mm. which wont work with my 2" trailer.

Sorry for the confusion, but it is confusing. And I have seen prices from $ 400-$1200.

Yes, I know. And I thank you, but its still not very clear. You posted the part number "ANR2786" and the catalogues specify that for Defenders from '94-'97. the other number posted was "STC50269AA" along with photos, but that is not a receiver-type hitch. And it uses a plate and ball assembly that comes in 50 mm. which wont work with my 2" trailer.

Sorry for the confusion, but it is confusing. And I have seen prices from $ 400-$1200.

It is not a reciever hitch because it was made for the Anniversary 50 Defender 90 for the UK market (1998-1948 = 50), it was basically a right hand drive MY97 NAS90 so the part numbers banded around this learned forum were for a UK spec vehicle.

ANR2786 is from my cd rom for my North American Spec NAS90, however, LR could have possibly changed the number, I can check with Keith at my favourite stealership?

BTW please get up to speed with what and when LR have built :D

It is not a reciever hitch because it was made for the Anniversary 50 Defender 90 for the UK market (1998-1948 = 50), it was basically a right hand drive MY97 NAS90 so the part numbers banded around this learned forum were for a UK spec vehicle.

ANR2786 is from my cd rom for my North American Spec NAS90, however, LR could have possibly changed the number, I can check with Keith at my favourite stealership?

BTW please get up to speed with what and when LR have built :D

pangolin one seems ok and not too expensive

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/pro...es/hitches.html

then just get a drop plate from northern tool or something.