new to auto's

stripy

i have just got a 300tdi auto disco 1998 vintage and i am giving it the once over, to drain the auto box do i take out (what looks like the smallest drain plug you ever did see ) in the center of the sump?

and to fill it up with oil doe's it have to go down the dipstick tube?

i saw somewhere it holds 9.8 ltrs (which is over 2 gall) is this right ?

cheers john

i have just got a 300tdi auto disco 1998 vintage and i am giving it the once over, to drain the auto box do i take out (what looks like the smallest drain plug you ever did see ) in the center of the sump?

and to fill it up with oil doe's it have to go down the dipstick tube?

i saw somewhere it holds 9.8 ltrs (which is over 2 gall) is this right ?

cheers john

Yes the small drain plug is in the centre bottom of sump possibly an allen key, you will only get about 4.5 ltr out as you can't drain the TC, you need the engine running and in N to refill. Or check level (Engine running in N) if OK measure what you get out and replace with same amount with engine off down the dip stick tube.

To refresh all the oil, you need to repeat a few times which can be expensive.

Peter

Yes that is the drain plug, yes you refill through the dipstick tube and yes that probably is about the right quantity of oil however you won't get that much out as a large amount stays in the torque converter. It would probably be a good idea to change the filter (which is inside the sump) as well as it is inexpensive and easy to do.

The only way to change the oil completely as far as I know is to strip the whole thing down. However you can change the oil 2 or 3 times in a short period (say 1000 miles) as this will change 90% of the oil to new. It is probably worth noting that there is some feeling that if the old oil is not brown and burnt it is not worth the risk of changing it as there have been some people having problems with boxes sticking in 1st after an oil change. I didn't have this problem when I did mine however.

HTH

Pete.

When you drain, check the quantity of fluid that comes out as that is the amount you put back in.

Unless the level of oil in the auto-box was too high or too low.

You should as a precaution always check the level of oil after changing.

Make sure your gearbox is stone cold, leave overnight.

Start Engine.

Go through gears P-R-N-3-2-1-2-3-N-R-P (stop in each gear)

then check the level af the dipstick with the engine still running.

right, iv'e bought the filter for the gearbox, am i right in saying drop the sump and it will be staring me in the face, also looking at the new one it would seem that it is just a push fit, is that right ?

cheers john

My advice is, if the oil is clean and the box is shifting correctly at the moment then leave it be.

You will be really sorry if after the change you do end up with it sticking in first - there isn't a cheap fix to that problem... :(

Unless the level of oil in the auto-box was too high or too low.

You should as a precaution always check the level of oil after changing.

Make sure your gearbox is stone cold, leave overnight.

Start Engine.

Go through gears P-R-N-3-2-1-2-3-N-R-P (stop in each gear)

then check the level af the dipstick with the engine still running.

Exactly correct but I would add leave the box in NEUTRAL with the handbrake ON, you will otherwise be chasing your car down the road waving a dipstick, or is that looking like one! :D

Must be neutral not PARK.