Mud flaps

I need to replace the rear mudflaps since one has just about fallen off. I have drilled out the rivets and had thought of replacing with stainless steel bolts since I am pretty sure my little pop riveter will not cope with such huge rivets. The hole size seems to be 7mm so am I better putting in a slightly loose M6 bolt or drilling out to 8mm and putting an M8 bolt in?

I know it sounds silly but I can see benefits and disadvantages in both approaches and do not know how best to take a view.

The bracket is still 100% OK so I just order the flaps from somewhere like Paddocks I presume. I may also explore front mud flaps too since The Beastie doesn't have any at the moment.

Thanks for any advice

Malcy

We get a lot of wet here and it does seem a bit fairer to try and keep spray down for any drivers following on the road.

I will use M6 screws with nyloc nuts and penny washers. There are three of them so should be OK and can always drill out to 8mm if it seems too wobbly.

Not sure if I can source old oil drums around here so may still have to get proper ones.

Thanks for advice.

Malcy

i seem to remember seeing a post about different mudflaps being different grades of rubber, some were too hard and kept splitting at the edges of the brackes, may want to look in to this or get some advise froma grown up before you buy any.

Hmm. Thanks for that Muddy.

On that basis if anyone can recommend a set of rear mudflaps and supplier it would be useful. I have been looking and it seems to be very confusing but perhaps since they are so relatively cheap I should not waste any more time.

Any thoughts?

Hmm. Thanks for that Muddy.

On that basis if anyone can recommend a set of rear mudflaps and supplier it would be useful. I have been looking and it seems to be very confusing but perhaps since they are so relatively cheap I should not waste any more time.

Any thoughts?

I bought a set if gen parts for my V reg Td5 and they weren't expensive, came with new brackets and new bolts to go in the captives.

Hi there

What i did a couple of months ago was to double the rear flaps ie put one set in the normal place then the 2nd pair starting from the top of the first pair up into the rear i fould it stops carp getting sprayed up all over the rear crossmember and make cleaning all that faster. On previous series vehicle I had - we would source some conveyor belting from a local quarry and then fabricate a complete flap to go right arount the rear wheel well.

PS did the same with the fronts too and stops a lot of stuff getting thrown back under the vehicle

the kits from paddocks come with all the little brackets - i used small bolts with large washers and spring washers with domed nuts to keep the road salt out

happy trails

Abe

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever fitted the "rally plastic type" ones that are always advertised as unbreakable and are usually cut to size and seen on the back of rally cars? They come in a number of colours for the adventurous and I see also 3mm and even 4mm advertised.

Car/rally tuners and the Internet auction sites always have these advertised for the rally boys but wondered whether anyone had fitted them to a Defender and if so what do they look like and did they last? Recall seeing them on one of the Mitsubishi 4x4 EVO "jeep" Paris/Dakar equivalents.

Thanks, Jon

Has anyone ever fitted the "rally plastic type" ones that are always advertised as unbreakable and are usually cut to size and seen on the back of rally cars? They come in a number of colours for the adventurous and I see also 3mm and even 4mm advertised.

Car/rally tuners and the Internet auction sites always have these advertised for the rally boys but wondered whether anyone had fitted them to a Defender and if so what do they look like and did they last? Recall seeing them on one of the Mitsubishi 4x4 EVO "jeep" Paris/Dakar equivalents.

Thanks, Jon

Yes. The plastic "oil drum" ones are better.

I need to replace the rear mudflaps since one has just about fallen off. I have drilled out the rivets and had thought of replacing with stainless steel bolts since I am pretty sure my little pop riveter will not cope with such huge rivets. The hole size seems to be 7mm so am I better putting in a slightly loose M6 bolt or drilling out to 8mm and putting an M8 bolt in?

I know it sounds silly but I can see benefits and disadvantages in both approaches and do not know how best to take a view.

The bracket is still 100% OK so I just order the flaps from somewhere like Paddocks I presume. I may also explore front mud flaps too since The Beastie doesn't have any at the moment.

Thanks for any advice

Malcy

I did all four on ours yesterday. I bought the mudflaps only from Paddock, then used stainless M6 bolts, stainless repair washers, stainless lock washers and stainless nuts - purely because I happen to have boxes of all of those handy. The job took 25 minutes, including removing the old mud flaps with an angle grinder. Oh, and I put the nuts to the rear of the bracket in a probably vain bid to reduce the amount of crud building up on the threads.