tickover on 300tdi

flatback90

lads i got me a disco thats been stood a while (18mths) started it up ok but theres a ticking from the front of the engine thats not tappetts coz i set them to .2mm as per the book any ideas? also shes ticking over at 1100 rpm and i dunno how to adjust it down.anyone help me or is the inj pump shagged? any reason why the fuel return on the injector nearest the bulkhead is blocked instead of returning to the tank ala 200tdi?

Are you sure it isn't just cr&p in the fan belt? It can make squeaks, ticks, chirrups, scratchy noises and God knows what else that sounds much more serious than it is. My new 110 is doing just that at the moment - a loud noise that really sounds quite mechanical and serious in nature but I know it is just the fan belt!

Fuel return is from number one injector down to pump

On side of pump is two screws one is max revs other is idle screw, maybe throttle cable to tight.

Ticking noise could be the vac pump mounted behind the injector pump.

Lynall

no 1 injector is nearest the rad? so its normal for the bulkhead one to be blocked? the cable is not tight its set the same as my other 300tdi. i never thought of the vac pump ticking hmmmm that would explain the slightly under par brakes!