diff pan

stu666 has developed some pin holes in his front diff pan. I drained the oil, cleaned up a bit, set the mig to very low amps and managed to dump some pidgeon poo over the holes. The diff pan is very thin and I advised stu it would only be a temporary repair. Question is, has anyone fitted one of those paddocks diff pans? does the old pan need grinding off or can the new one be fitted over the top? why do they sell one with no filler hole?

sorry for so many questions but couldn't find anything in tech archives.

Tony

Some diffs have the filler plug on the casing of the axle, others on the casing of the actual diff. Obviously if your diff unit has no hole, you can't welding in a diff pan without one (unless you add one).

If you're going to bother doing all that, why not beef it up a bit - look up 'sewer capping' on this forum. ;)

Al.

Some diffs have the filler plug on the casing of the axle, others on the casing of the actual diff. Obviously if your diff unit has no hole, you can't welding in a diff pan without one (unless you add one).

If you're going to bother doing all that, why not beef it up a bit - look up 'sewer capping' on this forum. ;)

Al.

Or have a word with Paul Wightman. He made some very nice 5mm ones a few months ago and he may have some left. IMHO its a far neater solution than using diff gaurds.

ive done it on my front diff make sure and clean everydrop out of the diff ass it warms up and gets in the welding area , make sure u spend alot of time cleaning up the surface and the new diff as its coated in a thick black paint , then i cleaned a very good earth then started , i got it all in the right place then tacked at 12 , 3 , 6 , 9 , then i welded about 1" then moved to opposite are then welded and do it like that as i noticed that the heat was very quick distorting the pan, also leave in the filler plug to hold the shape

ive done it on my front diff make sure and clean everydrop out of the diff ass it warms up and gets in the welding area , make sure u spend alot of time cleaning up the surface and the new diff as its coated in a thick black paint , then i cleaned a very good earth then started , i got it all in the right place then tacked at 12 , 3 , 6 , 9 , then i welded about 1" then moved to opposite are then welded and do it like that as i noticed that the heat was very quick distorting the pan, also leave in the filler plug to hold the shape

Mig, tig or gas? anyone got any thoughts about brazing a new one on? (traditional brazing not mig brazing)