Disco TD5 Turbo & Front axle.

Les Henson

I did a 48,000 mile service on one of these today and noticed that there was quite a lot of play in the turbo shaft on the cold side - as much as 2mm. Are there known problems with the turbo on this engine?

Also the front axle oil was so contaminated with paste that it appeared to look like silver grey metallic paint. The drain plug magnet was also loaded with past to such an extent that the magnet was invisible as well as a few turns of the thread.

Seemed an awful lot to me considering it had only done 48k on-road miles.

Les.

Front diff might suffer from the same disease as any others, i.e. the planetary gears wear into the cage causing lots of metal in the oil as you describe. I haven't had this on mine but did on my Series 1 Discovery and the diffs are identical. The diff was dismantled because radar-ears detected a slight gear noise when cornering and the gears were so spaced out due to the wear that it was just starting to chip the tips off the gear teeth, another few hundred miles and it would have gone bang. I was quite chuffed because everybody told me I was hearing things :)

No apparent rhyme nor reason as to which ones do it and which ones don't, I suppose I have seen about a dozen like that in the last ten years, some 110s and some Discoverys. Older diffs (so I am told anyway) had a fibre washer between the gears and the cage to stop this, newer ones don't. If you take the front diff out the problem will be immediately obvious if you look at the cage, on my one the side gears (the ones the halfshafts go through) were worn about 5-6mm into the cage on both sides! Eventually what happens is that the teeth strip on the planetary gears and you get no drive through the diff.

No known turbo problems according to the info I have, and I can't recall a single Td5 turbo fail here. Can't say I have ever stuck me finger up one though... not sure what "normal" play is supposed to be.

Given that the turbo impeller when running uses a oil film type of lubrication for its bearing's would this not be normal? I would think that when there is oil pressure and the impeller is spinning at normal speeds this play would not affect it.

When the turbos are new the radial shaft play (side to side) is about 0.5-0.6 mm. The axial play (back and forth) is in the order of 0.1-0.2 (at most) and it's more important than radial play.

When the turbos fail, the radial play gets in the order of 3-5 mm and the axial one gets over 0.3-0.5 mm.

Here are some videos of shaft play on:

- failed turbos (or on their way out):

(includes a description of how a turbocharger works)

- still usable turbos:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1987298736561484800

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7631248286126630303

I did a 48,000 mile service on one of these today and noticed that there was quite a lot of play in the turbo shaft on the cold side - as much as 2mm. Are there known problems with the turbo on this engine?

Also the front axle oil was so contaminated with paste that it appeared to look like silver grey metallic paint. The drain plug magnet was also loaded with past to such an extent that the magnet was invisible as well as a few turns of the thread.

Seemed an awful lot to me considering it had only done 48k on-road miles.

Les.

Hi Les, i`ve had two fail on my TD5 in the past six months.

I`ve now purchased a factory reconditioned one worth the extra money. The first failed by oil starvation to the bearings and it chewed the vanes up, and wobbled all over the place. The second failed on the back plate so the seals failed and it started to consume the contents of my sump.

So is this common or am i just bl#*dy unlucky. :lol:

Foxminer.

The first failed by oil starvation to the bearings and it chewed the vanes up, and wobbled all over the place.

When I purchase my D2 at 96k it had just had a turbo replacement because of this very fault. I'm now at 126k and there's no sign (he says looking for wood to touch) of any further problems

I have only replaced a couple of turbos on td5's (tech for 6years in dealer), not a common problem but as with anyhing that moves it will wear eventually, you will get a bit of movement but nothing really noticeable. Never seen any front axle probs like that though.