Technical advice from moderators and admin please

Paul64

Hi,

I have been trying to sort this out for hours and completely stumped by it. I attatched a mesaage board to my web site, but can't seem to change the URL. I obviously want something that is recognisable to the company and web site. Any ideas how to do this because it is driving me bonkers?

http://www.setbb.com/pdwhite/index.php?mforum=pdwhite

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hey I can't believe the controls on these forums. The settings are unbelievable! They just go on and on. Managed to get most of it sorted but not the URL. I managed to link it to my web site so it's not swimming in the ether, but it would be nice to have an independent URL.

cheers,

Paul

That looks like phpBB, which is relatively simple - you should see the admin panel for this thing! :blink:

Changing the URL isn't a forum setting, I'm afraid, you have to register a domain name and point it at the web site, then the server may have to be set up to know which website that domain name points at. If it's a free forum solution then you probably can't do this at all.

The easiest way to acheive what you're trying to do would actually be to install forum software on your own web space, if you have the option of setting up a database. The downside to this is you'll need to keep up to date with new versions of the forum, as unfortunately the less desirable denizens of the internet keep a close eye on all the popular forum packages and are very quick to exploit security holes when they're found.

That looks like phpBB, which is relatively simple - you should see the admin panel for this thing! :blink:

Changing the URL isn't a forum setting, I'm afraid, you have to register a domain name and point it at the web site, then the server may have to be set up to know which website that domain name points at. If it's a free forum solution then you probably can't do this at all.

The easiest way to acheive what you're trying to do would actually be to install forum software on your own web space, if you have the option of setting up a database. The downside to this is you'll need to keep up to date with new versions of the forum, as unfortunately the less desirable denizens of the internet keep a close eye on all the popular forum packages and are very quick to exploit security holes when they're found.

Thanks Geoff,

It is obviously free to allow advertising and I certainly can't change the URL form the admin panel. It is contained within an open box but when submitted it auto reverts to the present url.

Thanks for your advice but I think I'm stuck with website access only.

Paul

rather tacky option but you could try embedding it in your website using frames. If nothing else it will hide the url and you could keep your web site menu visible.

Thanks Trev,

I understand how to link it to my web site, but embedding it using frames? How do you do that?

No disrespect intended but you should really be asking your question here

http://www.phpbb.com/community/?sid=17c090...f1209d60be071c6

this community will teach you to :ph34r: fark about with code :ph34r:

The suggestion that you need to create a new domain ( :D like www.onthespitwithdracul.com :D ) and point your stuff at it sounds right, currently it reads like you created a name then pointed it at another name.

ps I am not a mod so neither mods or admin can be blamed as a result of your phpbb going TU as a result of advice from the likes of me :D:D

God luck with it.

T

(iframe src="http://my.forum.url" style="width:100px;height:300px;")(/iframe)

Change the ordinary brackets for square ones.

Adjust the width and height to fit in your sites content area, ideally make it wide enough to fit the width of the forum and high enough to take the longest page without a scrollbar appearing at the side of the iframe. You may be able to tweak the templates of your forum to help with this.

Geoff

(iframe src="http://my.forum.url" style="width:100px;height:300px;")(/iframe)

Change the ordinary brackets for square ones.

Adjust the width and height to fit in your sites content area, ideally make it wide enough to fit the width of the forum and high enough to take the longest page without a scrollbar appearing at the side of the iframe. You may be able to tweak the templates of your forum to help with this.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I will have a crack at it.

Cheers, Paul