Series Body on 3dr Discovery Chassis

Shaun the Sheep

Hello

I have a series 3 109" 2.6 petrol pickup, it's great, but far from comfortable. I've read a little about people building hybrids between range rovers and land rovers and want to know more. I have a 3dr Discovery 1 that needs too much work for it's next MoT to be worthwhile, and I'm wondering if the chassis, and therefore coil springs, axles, disc brakes etc etc can be used to make a hybrid with a series land rover. I've searched through the forum as best I can but cannot find much info. Can someone point me in the right direction of what the 'common' options are please?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If you're putting a different body on a different chassis, it's not the wheel base you need to be concerned with but the difference in chassis length. You would obviously need to eiter modify the chassis mounts on the disco chassis (by putting the 109" chassis mounts on), or modify the body to fit the disco mounts. I believe the former is the most popular route. Once the body is located on the chassis you would then have to shorten (or perhaps lengthen) the 109 body.

Les.

One idea I mulled over was to fit a Series 109 tub onto a 2-door Range Rover chassis, keeping the original Range Rover from the front to the B post.

Initial measurements indicated that it would not be that difficult and would produce a very nice pickup.

One idea I mulled over was to fit a Series 109 tub onto a 2-door Range Rover chassis, keeping the original Range Rover from the front to the B post.

Initial measurements indicated that it would not be that difficult and would produce a very nice pickup.

My Old Hybrid I built was a Series 1 80 inch body mixed with 86 inch onto a RR Chassis.

Whilst different to what you are asking about I would say anything along these lines have similar issues.

1 -You have to be able to weld, fabricate and think though problems that until you get into it you won't yet know :)

2 - However long you think it may take you multiply it by x4

3 - However much you think you can budget on doing it multiply by x3

This is not a "clever" or "Jokey" reply - I genuinely think you need to accept the above, then if so do it, any doubt do not

Building a hybrid is something many dream about and never start,

some start and never finish,

and only a few dream, start and then finish...

The last bunch "dream start and finish" will all confirm the above

HTH

Nige