Spring Over Axle conversions.

XtremeMarineInc

All right guys; I've ordered the 1 tonne shackles front and rear. Now it's time to order the springs for the SOA conversion. I have been told that using the standard SIIa 88" swb springs is not a good idea. I have also been told that parabolics would be a bad idea, since there would be more axle wrap. I will need to build a subframe to the frame and axle housing to keep axle wrap from happening on the rear.

I need to use whichever springs will work best. I am not worried about changing them later when I swap in the v8. The all aluminum 8 probably weighs less than the all iron 4.

Has anyone on here had experience with soa's on series. Or better yet, know exactly which springs would be best?

I hope you are using wider than standard diffs?

Do you mean axles? :unsure:

Dan - buy parabolics as they will give a better ride, pick ones that are the correct "duty" for your vehicle, if it's going to weigh half of bugger all then go for less leaves, if it's going to be a heavy mofo then go for more. A decent supplier should be able to tell you what will suit. For reference I run 2-leaf fronts and 4-leaf (3+helper) on the rear in the 109 and they seem about right, rides nicely when loaded up in the back :lol:

Whatever you do you'll need to anti-wrap BOTH axles, even as stock they wrap. Bill Van Snorkle is your man, search his posts in this forum as he's put some *very* good tech up about spring wrap on Series vehicles.

FF; thanks for the advice. I was told by others that Para's were the absolutely last I should use. What is your reasoning that the para's would be a good choice. I will be building "anti-wrap" bars for both front and rear, probably using JJ 's or heim joints. Eventually, when the FJ60 axles are mounted, they will be about 3-4 inches wider than stock.

Paras are thinner so worse at resisting wrap than a big stock spring pack, but whatever you fit you'll need the anti-wrap so why not have some springs that don't make your teeth fall out every time you go over a bump? If you have an anti-wrap bar to take care of that then it doesn't matter as the springs shouldn't be able to wrap anyway.

I've never looked at it that way. PAra's supposedly offer more flex, too. So maybe articulation will be better. Definitely have to do some searching, and see if anyone's posted up specs or diagrams of anti wrap bars and brackets for the axles. I'll need to do some cutting, grinding, and welding, but it's going to need to be done. So if I can find some diagrams, I can order up the materials.

Paras do offer more flex, and a better ride.

nh5714_John_bendy_twisty.jpg

Anti-wrap bars seem to be one of those things (like all suspension) that cause massive arguments on internet forums and throw up some very complicated and weird solutions. I'm going for a basic setup like this one on Pirate but using something less bootylicious than tractor links :rolleyes:

The 109 will never be a twist-off queen, as long as it gets where I want I am happy.

Maybe I can talk Jez into building me a set since they're between races. I know there must be an 88" laying around somewhere near his shop. I could buy some real House of flying spanners custom parts, and they could have money in their budget for race season. Been trying to think up a good excuse to get one of those cool shirts! His welding skills are much better than mine anyways...

I used to run Ford Transit 2 leaf Paras at the rear in spring over configuration and was forever kinking the main leaf at its thinnest section due to serious wrap and axle hop on steep climbs. Occasionally they would break near the saddle on the axle. For the past 5 years I have been running single leaf Transits together with a tripod link antiwrap device and the springs give the impression that they will oulast me. Over the years I have fitted 3 sets of RM Parabolics to clients vehicles, and to be honest haven't been overly impressed with the ride, axle articulation or wrap control.At the rear they were definately inferior to the dual rate multiple thin leaf 109 Wagon springs, and at the front the increased axle wrap offset any possible advantages that increased travel may have given.

Bill.

I've talked to Bill at GBR; and the final decision has been made. 88" swb springs. Parabolics. Two leaf springs, front and rear. From a company called Hastes, I believe. True parabolics; not linear. With polybushes, with zerk fittings installed, so they're greaseable. Added to the 1 tonne shackles front and rear.

Xtremewhatsits - are you going to extend the chassis spring hangers too to match the longer shackles, otherwise you're fiddling with your caster angles and whatnot...

Al.

The castor angle would be determined by the angle he welds the spring perches to the top of the axles, so he could retain the standard hangers or even shorten them if he so wished. A straight spring over on stock leaves will lift the truck 6 inches, on paras about 5 inches, The reasoning behind longer shackles and hangers escapes me for now.

Bill.