lockheed caliper comparison

hope this is the right place for post ..trying to order pistons and seal kit for a pair of front caliper on a 90 which is c reg and been already modified .. dont know if they axles are original.. the problem is i have lockheed 3247-637c front calipers .. with 1 brake pipe feed.. no abs.. solid disc's.. when i phone paddocks they say they cant recognise the calipers as the serial should start with maybe AEU .. have they stopped making these calipers or is there a comparison or do i need tto buy new ones thanks in advance nick

Spot on with the forum for your quiestion, Welcome to LR4x4.com & the info below should help solve your problem

AEU is he prefix of a Unipart part number not a serial number [iIRC], it's full number is AEU2539 piston seal kit caliper

my EPC says you need this piston kit LR part number STC201 for chassis numbers HA 701010 To KA930455. or the earlier piston kit 660683

all older 90 & 110's have single pipe to the front calipers.

Spot on with the forum for your quiestion, Welcome to LR4x4.com & the info below should help solve your problem

AEU is he prefix of a Unipart part number not a serial number [iIRC], it's full number is AEU2539 piston seal kit caliper

my EPC says you need this piston kit LR part number STC201 for chassis numbers HA 701010 To KA930455. or the earlier piston kit 660683

all older 90 & 110's have single pipe to the front calipers.

thanks for your reply :) would the earlier piston kit 660683 be the same as STC201 piston ? .. i know its a different axle for both, should i order 2 sets or is there a difference i can quote for order .. maybe measure piston or something .. as it would be a order by post and some can be a pain for returns thank so much for your help :) tried to look for axle number but it looks so nice sprayed and sealed looks like i will have to scratch the paint off and look harder dam :(

If you are not sure what has been put on, I believe you could identify from the piston sizes. There are 2 sizes of caliper pistons on 90's and 110's, 41mm and 46mm diameter (assuming 4 pot calipers). For the 46mm calipers you need STC201 pistons (can get normal £3, or stainless £7) and AEU2539 seal repair kits (worth getting 3 of these as you 'might' bend a few of the metal retainers). The 41mm parts will be the other ones.

FWIW - Depends how keen you are on DIY and how much cash you have, but if you are doing a rebuild as per Les Hensons thread, with hindsight, I would consider just buying recon calipers for £70 'ish. It's not a difficult job, but time consuming by the time you have stripped, cleaned, painted, watched paint dry and rebuilt.

thanks for the replies .. just what i wanted to know :) best is to measure pistons and they were 4 pot sorry i should of added that.. 3 seal kits incase :P and a bit of diy to clean em up a bit so much more pleasure when u do it yourself :) thanks again for your help very much apprieciated ..

Don't buy Britpart or Bearmach caliper seal kits. The rubber bits fit ok, but the tin retainer is quarter-round in cross-section and is a bugger to fit without flattening it completely. The OEM lockheed tin thingy has a more-or-less quarter square cross section and fits easily.

I am about to attempt to fit a Bearmach caliper seal kit to a RR Classic caliper. It is about an 89 model with ventilated brakes. We couldn't get the real kit easily, so here we go...... I don't like the look of the tin things before I start. :(

Actually you can buy new calipers from Paddocks for that money.

Good point, but not sure what the Paddocks calipers are like. They are aftermarket and made for them (probably in distant lands :lol:) , so not Original AP Lockheed.

Only hint for fitting the tin retainers is as per Les' thread. Just make sure the recess, and its taper at the top, is spotless and tap them in gently and evenly all round i.e not one side then the other.

Good point, but not sure what the Paddocks calipers are like. They are aftermarket and made for them (probably in distant lands :lol:) , so not Original AP Lockheed.

well we shall see.... a pair just arrived at my door.

Can't be any worse than the disaster Autopost spacers i tried.