Wiltshire Summer treasure hunt anyone?

GBMUD

No Dave (and Si), you are not excluded. You are welcome to marshal the event, I would think that such an event would need a minimum of one sweeper running round behind the cars - and someone to sweep him too... and so on. ;) The law will only allow 12 cars in the event.

Let me know and I will add you to the marshal list.

Chris

Yes please Chris, marshal or entrant or sweeper or tea maker just let me know meet and time! :D

Chris,

As per PM's... You should take me off the list.. Just replaced dying water pump while in France. (Big thanks go out to Anglo-Frenchman for all the language assistance...)

Still got suspect head gasket on one bank so will need to find time to effect repairs... If the car is alive and I get a pass I'll come down and jump in with one of the marshalls, seats permitting.

Regards

Neil

Neil, you can ride shotgun with me :D

Due to the outbreak of foot and mouth disease in Surrey yesterday, this event may prove in-advisable. Those who have been greenlane driving for a few years will remember the last F+M outbreak and the effect it had on our passtime - essentially meaning that there was no opportunity to get out into the countryside for fear of spreading the disease around the country. The last thing we want is for any one of us to unwittingly carry F+M from their part of the country to the Wiltshire or vice versa.

It is early days and we have yet so see how DEFRA might cope and whether the outbreak might be isolated and contained to just the one farm or small area. I do not want to cancel this event and, unless it proves impossible, I will continue to arrange the route. I may also try a "F+M friendly" route using only BOATs on the training area, although this may not be possible due to the number of areas leased to farmers as grazing.

What a bummer.

Thanks

Chris

Guest WALFY

Chris

Totaly understand. Let's hope DEFRA don't decide to kill all livestock county by county this time. Who's in charge of DEFRA now. Hopefully some one better than when under Blair

You just got bumped up Dave, you are in.

Chris

Cracking, thanks Chris :D

However, events have overtaken the treasure hunt, will wait with bated breath. :angry: Real bugger this F&M, guess it might be imported meat again? although the news is saying cattle and not pigs fed on infected meat as in 2001. My Grandfather and Uncle were farmers, I crawled around the milking shed before I could walk, so feel very much for the farming community.

Due to other commitments by one entrant, a space has opened for another car. First come, first served.

I have driven a number of lanes recently and I think that I have a suitable route planned, a little over 100km and about 90% on unmade roads, although I have yet to drive the route as a whole to make timings and make up questions etc.

Foot and mouth disease might prove to be a problem. A lot of the route is on Salisbury plain military training area, chosen to avoid driving in too much "rural" countryside. The army are mostly on holiday in August so we should expect the training area to be open. I did hear the other day though that they are planning to keep the red flags up (ranges closed) during the F+M outbreak, bad news. The flags were down today though so perhaps the range people have relented in the light of the very limited scope of the outbreak. Be aware though that they could close the training area at any time, meaning that most of the route cannot be driven.

I will speak to the pub.camping tomorrow and check that stopping there is going to be OK - and to check that a last minute cancellation will not be a problem, god forbid.

Chris

OK sorry I seem to have been quiet on this. I have been waiting to see what happens with F+M, unwilling to make firm arrangements/plans until I know what it happening. It looks like the F+M outbreak is not going to be as serious as it was a few years ago and fingers crossed will not get any worse than it is. I have not spoken to the pub/campsite where I propose to finish yet but I will do that tomorrow and make sure that they are OK with it and have space for some of us to stay. I will post the result of that here.

I would prefer not to handle any money on the day. If you would like to make a donation to the forum funds, please get in touch with TonyC (White90) and send him some cash. Details are HERE and you can give anytime. :)

I have been out this last week driving lanes and have some more research to do this coming week, including driving the route and trying to find something to base clues on!

What you will need:

OS Landranger map 184, Salisbury and the Plain (and 173 Swindon and Devizes and 174 Newbury and Wantage will help if you have them.)

A pen, pencil, ruler and a protractor

A compass.

A 4x4

Sufficient fuel for a day

Pic-nic lunch

PLENTY OF WATER TO DRINK

Common sense

Where to be and when:

At SU112537 at about 1000h on Saturday morning.

What will happen then:

I will give you your route and other important details and you can set off on the route when you are ready. There will be no breakfast this time. As with last time and with all greenlane trips, we do not want a group of 12 cars all going round together. Please consider going in groups of no more than three cars and avoid being too close to any other group - if you find you are too close then stop and take a tea break. This is not a race and there is no set finishing time - as long as you get to the pub at the finish while I can still see you will be in time. :)

There is not a lot else to say just now. I will post a further update later this week with any other details needed but I do not anticipate that the start location or the start time will change so take them as definite.

Thanks for being patient with me despite the lack of information over the last couple of weeks. NOTE: there are still a couple of unfilled spaces after some people had to pull out

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Can I have the last place please? Wasn't sure what the plan was for next weekend, but it now loks like some laning is in order!

Will contact the pub today and arrange camping for friday night...

Cheers

Mark

Pub and camping:

I have been to visit and spoken to the landlord of The Woodbridge Inn at Rushall. He says that Saturday night campers can just book camping on the Saturday evening and put up their tents. Camping costs £5/night and there are no showers. The campsite is almost full with acheaologists(sp?) but he is confident that there will be room - in the pub garden if necessary. It might be best to cll and confirm if anyine wants to camp Friday night too, I did suggest that it was a possibility.

Evening meal:

I suggested that we might like to eat at the pub, and assumed that most of us would. The landlord suggested booking but seemed doubtful that a table of 30odd would be available - which seems reasonable. As long as the weather is OK then there is sufficient outdoor seating to eliminate problems with seating. I said that I would try to gauge numbers of people wishing to dine and let him know ASAP so that he can reserve sufficient seating. Please, if you can, let me know how many seats want reserving from each car. It might also be nice to offer some idea of the number of tents to expect Saturday evening.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Due to Stumpy2268 coming down Fri PM we will both arrive on the sat morning and again both of us will have dogs with us so will be returning to Chateau Walford, after having a sociable beer to celebrate my victory in the quiz :D :D