Wiltshire Summer treasure hunt anyone?

GBMUD

Thanks to all for the great company again guys and gals !!

Chris excellent route, and one to be proud of, all 8 hours worth !! :o

Thanks Ralph and Si for the Marshall duties, :) Si,, So sad to know, this was the last outing for your machine ! :(

And our "team" of Mo & Stuart ? , Mark & Jo, Adrian and his better half + dogs

Only got the one picture, (to follow) and that's the great big bull guarding one of the gates, good job the Mrs (on gate duty) is not scared of them !!! She did noticed no one else volunteered to open this one !!

Chris, got the date for the next one yet, 3rd time lucky weather wise :unsure::o

Thanks for the compliments guys. :) I will look to do another during Christmas week if all goes well.

The answers to the quizzes are listed below. Sadly I failed to be specific about how I wanted the questions answered - i.e., at what grid reference was I standing when I took the picture or a grid reference for the answer to a question. Never mind, it is only for fun...

As you set off on the route you should have seen the first two pictures, Range Staff Only and the two signs together. I think some of you managed to miss them. After you came back up onto the Ridgeway you will have passed a large riveted water tank, picture three. Those who cannot read a map (lot of you looking at the route some left the carpark by) will have missed it. Next was the huge orange pyramid, quiz question one. Anyone know what it is for?

The next item was not for miles and miles, the orange stick in the traffic cone. Then it was on for miles more. The camera at Copehill Down and the view of the village was easy enough. As you headed towards Shrewton the next answer was the AXE letterboard on the post by the "Sched 1" sign. There are a lot of those Sched 1 signs, aren't there.. The next answer was the letterboard POM at the start of the next lane at SU065449, closely followed by the carpark for George Smith's Horse Box company where visitors are asked to park "on the left".

The green flashing light seemed to catch a lot of people out. Just to the south of Larkhill there is a parachute drop zone. There is a traffic light there with a notice about stopping if the light is red. It says that if the light is flashing green then the DZ is in use. From Larkhill you went south towards Stonehenge and across the Cursus. The interpretation board explained about the word Cursus being Latin for racetrack - although it is now known that it is not a racetrack. Bush Barrow is south of Stonehenge at Normanton Down, again, the answer was on an interpretation board.

The bird on the hill was a tough one to spot, although I did warn you of this. It was easier when I set the question, but I changed the route after... Some people spotted it on the hillside as you left Bulford on the BYWAY, so it cannot have been that tough. The pub in Bulford being "The Kiwi" was a bit of a giveaway. There folowed some confusion about the exact order of the next few lanes but everyone seemed to do the lanes in some order so I guess that was OK. :)

BBC mounted may or may not have been removed. It was another letterboard belonging to another treasure hunt. When I saw it, it was on a tank crossing post at SU194519. Sorry if it got moved.

As the route moved away from the training area, on the last but two lanes, you will have seen the fence post in picture 7. Most of the posts were wooden and this one stood out to me as being special. :) The WCC 6 4 40 sign is on a concrete post on the last but one lane, where it changes from UCR to BOAT. I guess it is a road number for the UCR but I have no idea. Finally, the metal eye in the last picture was on the gateway that you had to open on the last lane. I was sitting in the driver's seat when I took the picture so how tough could it have been?

Thanks all, hope to see you in December. :)

Chris

Just to echo what has already been said, but thanks Chris for organising a really good run round the plain! some really good lanes and enough clues to keep my navigator occupied!!!

Good to team up with richard and jon again, and really good to meet Jos and Kim. Good to catch up with everyone else too!

am looking forward to the next one :D

Well done chris...

Thanks Chris for a great day's laning.

Oscar the retriever, and Brasher the 'collie' (?!!) both enjoyed themselves in the mud and water. I may have something of an interior valeting job however :D :D

Look forward to the next one.

Adrian.

Oiiiiiiii. Pope you are in so much trouble when she reads this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Chris for another great day out with like minded forum folk, good to read everyone had a good day & meet some of you for the first time, very sorry to read about Si's 90 on the way home, I took these pic's on the lane at West Lavington

post-20-1188596678_thumb.jpg

post-20-1188596719_thumb.jpg

post-20-1188596736_thumb.jpg

post-20-1188596871_thumb.jpg