cruise control

stripy

my cruise control on my 1998 300tdi auto wont hold its speed for more than a few seconds, a little longer if i keep my finger on the steering control,

i have heard of a pipe that perishes and wont hold a vacum, but i dont know where to find it , can anyone help me where to look.

cheers john

There several pipes under the bonnet they run from the actuator on the offside inner wing to the pump which is under the bottle jack on the nearside inner wing, they run around/above the back of the engine. There is a T near the brake master cylinder that runs to the brake pedal.

Pete.

The rubber pipes dry out and crack at the ends where they join to the actuator, pump and t piece. Also on mine the long pipe had split under the air box, it's worth pulling it all out and checking for splits. I put mine in a dish of water, block one end and blow through it.

• 2 weeks later...

A similar thing happened to me in the last few days. Cruise was getting progressively "weaker" in that it wouldn't hold speed up even gentle hills, was slow to engage and then would lose speed, etc. In my case, the end of the hose that plugs into the actuator near the throttle had perished. Looked OK on initial inspection, but I gave it a twist and it was well cracked up. Chopped an inch off and jammed it back on with a bit of electrical tape "reinforcing" the first inch or so as a temporary fix. Test drove today, and all's well again. I'll be replacing the entire hose, as the rest of it can't be in much better condition.