Old Man Emu.....or sumat else?

Spoke to the rather nice people from Devon 4x4 at Billing this weekend......told them my vision for my 300 TDi 90 Defender, and it turns out that suspension should be fairly high on my list of priorities, with what I have in mind.

They, and several others, REALLY recommend OME springs & dampers.......

....but what do YOU guys think........

Im new to Land Rovers, and right now dont want to do anything more than fairly sedate greenlaning and a bit of traveling/camping etc. I certainly dont want to take part in anything extreme or competition based (yeah, right.....lets see how I feel on that matter in a years time!!!)

If I was to go with uprated springs & dampers (standard height BTW) would I need to bother with dislocation cones and up-rated turrets, or would I be wasing cash that could be spent elsewhere?? Should I just stick on turrets and cones and forget about them?

Advice & comments please!

Bear in mind how retailers make their money - if they are selling suspension then obviously they will tell you it should be high on your list :rolleyes: if they make money selling kits to correct all the problems caused by big suspension lifts then they will probably try to sell you a big suspension lift kit... :ph34r:

Start with what you want the truck to do and see what currently stops you from doing it - lots of people on here have built very impressive setups with a lot of thought and a little money. Many do it the other way round and achieve far less impressive results :P

I have heard good things about OME but until you have worked out that you really do need to buy some new springs/shocks keep your credit card in your pocket, advice is free round here ;)

Spoke to the rather nice people from Devon 4x4 at Billing this weekend......told them my vision for my 300 TDi 90 Defender, and it turns out that suspension should be fairly high on my list of priorities, with what I have in mind.

They, and several others, REALLY recommend OME springs & dampers.......

....but what do YOU guys think........

Im new to Land Rovers, and right now dont want to do anything more than fairly sedate greenlaning and a bit of traveling/camping etc. I certainly dont want to take part in anything extreme or competition based (yeah, right.....lets see how I feel on that matter in a years time!!!)

If I was to go with uprated springs & dampers (standard height BTW) would I need to bother with dislocation cones and up-rated turrets, or would I be wasing cash that could be spent elsewhere?? Should I just stick on turrets and cones and forget about them?

Advice & comments please!

For the springs - yes, pay the OME price ( about £235 aset of 4 ) as the cheapo blue / yellow things tend to be horrible!

Dampers - No, plenty of others available that might not be quite so good but are perfectly suitable for a lot less money. Rough Country ( of course :lol::lol: , ProComp, De Carbon, etc.

David

I've had OME springs and shocks on the Discovery for 5 years now and no complaints at all.

Personally I'd spend money on decent mud tyres first (can of worms warning!!) then think about suspension lifts and all the other goodies.

HTH

if the current springs and shocks are in good condition I wouldn't touch them for the moment - as previously stated companies will tell you that what you need is what they sell.

You say you are fairly new to this in which case i would resist the urge to spend on toys and learn to drive to the vehicles abilities as is. As standard there is a fair amount of capability certainly enough to cope with your intended uses.

if the current springs and shocks are in good condition I wouldn't touch them for the moment - as previously stated companies will tell you that what you need is what they sell.

You say you are fairly new to this in which case i would resist the urge to spend on toys and learn to drive to the vehicles abilities as is. As standard there is a fair amount of capability certainly enough to cope with your intended uses.

x2

No point spending money unneccesarily.

Unless you want to of course. :unsure:

Have you actually tried your vehicle as it is, and why do you feel you need stiffer springs?

OME are just rebadged Monroes, not that they are bad. OME shocks don't seem to last as long as they should. If you want to buy Oztralian stuff, IMHO Ironman stuff is better.

80% of the world's shock absorbers are rebadged Monroe as they make 80% ( ish ) of the world's shocks!!

This does not mean that they are all the same though - each brand customer will specify different features / qualities that the Monroe owned factory will then build into their product. It is not as simple as just a new sticker :lol:

David

This does not mean that they are all the same though - each brand customer will specify different features / qualities that the Monroe owned factory will then build into their product. It is not as simple as just a new sticker :lol:

David

Unless it is Orange :unsure:

OME are just rebadged Monroes, not that they are bad. OME shocks don't seem to last as long as they should. If you want to buy Oztralian stuff, IMHO Ironman stuff is better.

Well, thats something I didn't know, my OME N45's N44's have lasted just over 10 years on my fairly heavy 110, just replaced all 4 recently.