4x4 retailers/parts suppliers

russ3120

Dear Mods

was sat here thinking (dodgey thing to do), and i bet its been mentioned before,

a list of retailers that are trusted, reliable, cheap and knowledgable

obviously X-eng on the top of the list.

the list could be put into the classified section.

the forum would not be advertising them, it would be list of suppliers that forum members have dealt with and would recommend to others

sorry for stepping out of my box, as i said it was just a thought

Russ

A good idea in some ways but who would/would not be able to add to the list? What if there were a rush of orange stooges who all say that certain types of spring are wonderful, that would be one example that springs to mind :)

Could be a bit dangerous IMHO and regulars to the site will soon form an opinion on who is well thought of (or not) just from the recommendations on the site.

A good idea in some ways but who would/would not be able to add to the list? What if there were a rush of orange stooges who all say that certain types of spring are wonderful, that would be one example that springs to mind :)

Could be a bit dangerous IMHO and regulars to the site will soon form an opinion on who is well thought of (or not) just from the recommendations on the site.

I see that some problems may arise, with those orange stooges :ph34r:, but the list would be aimed at those members who are new to the landrover scene, more of a guide to trusted retailers.

It was just a thought, i will get back in my box now and play with my socket set

Russ

Since this has cropped up before and no doubt will again, how about a sticky:

- Explaining why this forum is as it is

- Explaining why there isn't a list

- And telling people to post up and ask the question about a given retailer/product before buying

Most times people asking the question will have the information they need about a supplier, and in the case of some suppliers a more ethical alternative may be offered ;)

Agree that maintaining a "whitelist" of suppliers is as much a minefield as taking adverts. What do you do when someone has a problem? Everyone has one customer who's not 100% happy, how would you filter it?

Mods

i understand the independance of this forum. and having looked at other forums (no names) and seeing the way theres go, i am glad i am with this forum and enjoy the freedom of it.

this was just an idea, didnt realise it had been posted before, maybe a sticky on this thread to stop others posting something similar and recieving the humours wrath of the Mods

to sum up then, I take it that its a no then lol

Russ

Cheers for the compliment Russ!

Although most of it has been said before....

Lists like that are difficult to police. At the end of the day it would come down to one or more peoples opinion and that based on their experience is by nature subjective. I know people who absolutely love certain companies - and others who hate them. They are both right as it just reflects their personal experience.

I like the independence of this forum and even though there is a detectable bias towards or away from some suppliers, I think we would welcome anyone, regardless of their preference, so long as what they have to say is interesting.

Si