a bit of smoke

davidlandy

hi all,

my 300tdi chucks out a wedge of black smoke at very low revs before the turbo spools up - once the turbo kicks in the smokes goes (well turns into a slight haze). the pump has had the diaprham turned, but I have put it back to where it originally was and it makes no difference to the low end smoke.

so the question is what adjustment do I make to the pump to solve this? MOT time this week so Im keen to solve it.

cheers

hi all,

my 300tdi chucks out a wedge of black smoke at very low revs before the turbo spools up - once the turbo kicks in the smokes goes (well turns into a slight haze). the pump has had the diaprham turned, but I have put it back to where it originally was and it makes no difference to the low end smoke.

so the question is what adjustment do I make to the pump to solve this? MOT time this week so Im keen to solve it.

cheers

The diaphragm controls the on-boost fueling. There's another screw to control the off-boost fueling; either on top of the diaphram or the back of the pump - can't remember where.

Check the tech archive. I recall there being an everything-you-could-ever-want-to-know post about pump adjustment.

Probably be OK for the MOT as that measures smoke at full revs and no load - just like in the real world then... :rolleyes:

Stop it smoking by turning the smoke screw anti-clockwise. It is located under a tamperproof cover on top of the fuel pump diaphram and has a lock-nut on it.

Chris

Most importantly, and I should have said, present it at the MOT hot. Properly hot, not just warm on the gauge but drive for a minimum of 15 miles, ideally in 4th on the motorway. Getting the oil and injection kit hot makes all the difference.

Chris

here's the edited guts of the thread as it applies to you. Unfortunately, the diagrams are missing. :(

If your smoke is only at full throttle load - back off the full load screw.

If your smoke is at low end through pull-up to full power - back down the delivery rate.

If smoke is heavy at immediate start-up - fine adjust the smoke set screw.

Smoke Adjustment Screw

There is a small cap in the centre of the automatic fuel-control device (AFC) on top of the pump

Beneath the cap is a torx T-25 screw and a lock nut that holds it.

For additional fuel (and smoke) the screw may be turned farther (CW). Back it off (CCW) to reduce smoke.

Automatic Fuel Control Star Wheel Adjustment

Remove the cap fitted with the 4 straight head screws.

Turning the star wheel up (counter-clockwise) increases the spring pressure, and slows the delivery rate. Turning the star wheel down (clockwise) in ¼ turn increments until you smoke, then back off (counter-clockwise) until the smoke has gone.

Full Power Adjustment

On the rear of the pump, partially concealed by the fuel lines, and under a plastic anti-tamper cap

Remove the plastic cap and the metal collar tack-welded to the screw, loosen the jam-nut, and turn the power adjustment screw clockwise about 11/2 to 2 turns. After turning the Full Power Adjustment, you may need to re-adjust the Smoke Adjustment Screw to reduce low speed smoke, and the idle screw or throttle linkage to correct the idle speed.

Had similar problems with my DSE 1999. An old boy gave me a cure and it works! Well for me :) Buy a gallon of paraffion amnd wait till your fuel tank is half full. add the paraffin and take car for a blast. This has worked for me now for the past 4 MOT's