Santana "Series III" gearbox and T-case?

KevinNY

Does anyone know the differences in the Santana Series III gearbox/Tcase that supposedly make it stronger than the LR Suffix C boxes and Tcases. I know the ratios are the same and the Santana has the beefier "Honeycombed" case, but are their significant internal differences in strength?

It has normal suffix D innards in it. The difference is basically a mod in the production of the gears to reduce the tendancy to jump out of gear.

Thank you,

and the difference between suffix C and D innards would be???

EDIT: Nevermind, I found that information. Thanks again.

Thank you,

and the difference between suffix C and D innards would be???

EDIT: Nevermind, I found that information. Thanks again.

So whats the difference?

Im killing my s3 box at the moment and Im looking for something more reliable.

The Santana gearboxes are usually stronger and are a good choice in mine honest opinion.

But is already a 5 speed gearbox?

If it is the 5 speed gearbox is mandatory to modify the chassis and propeller shaft. Because it is longer, even by a small distance, with the frame.

I never drove any LR with this gearbox, but the opinion is always the same. Is very stronger and reliable but a little hard to use it.

Another point when dimensioning a gearbox is the torque that is taking in account and not the power. If you increase the power of your engine will only get hotter the oil.

Unless you have a SWB and Mr grinder and Mr Welder have to come for a visit!

Didn't say it was bolt-on, but it's doable. Looking at the layout on mine (109) I reckon losing 21" out of the drivetrain should be pretty easy, and that's with the long V8 bellhousing. I have a good 3-6" space in front of the engine and a long-ish rear prop, that's with a Series front end and PAS.

Didn't say it was bolt-on, but it's doable. Looking at the layout on mine (109) I reckon losing 21" out of the drivetrain should be pretty easy, and that's with the long V8 bellhousing. I have a good 3-6" space in front of the engine and a long-ish rear prop, that's with a Series front end and PAS.

Mine is a SWB coil conversion with a Daihatsu 2.8 TD going in. I believe the difference in the suffix D setup is a larger front layshaft bearing and larger intermediate shaft.

KB,

My Series box, of indeterminate suffix, has held up to the V8 so far, so why not check and service the SIII box while it's out/accessible for the engine swap and stick with it until it goes boom. Even then, a recon box is probably cheaper than buying a Santana Series box or doing an R380/LT230 conversion....