European Breakdown Insurance

Ivan

Anyone got any recommendations for European Breakdown cover ? Most I have seen limit the cars age to either under 11 years or under 16 years. My car was first registered in 1991 (Feb) so need someone who will cover the older car.

TIA

Ivan

Highly modified? Pah. It's been hacked about by an amateur on a driveway. For modified you want to look to my machine, which is currently .. err .. VOR. Ok.

Back OT, I used Green Flag last summer for a year's cover which purported to be European. I have no idea how good it is abroad though because I've only used it twice, both times on the M1.

Anyone got any recommendations for European Breakdown cover ? Most I have seen limit the cars age to either under 11 years or under 16 years. My car was first registered in 1991 (Feb) so need someone who will cover the older car.

TIA

Ivan

Well i have used the AA and when i lost a clutch in Germany they eventually 11 hrs later got me recovered to a LR independant, on a Saturday morning at 0800, no mechanics on weekend but they lent me a ramp and did the job myself, bloody fine lot in Stuttgart they are.

Anyway after that i changed to Europe Assist as it was cheaper and reputedly better service, again in Germany, i must avoid that bloody place the gearbox exploded, cutting a long story short i phoned europ assist at about 2pm they in about 3 hours sourced a gearbox in the UK as there were none in Germany or euopean mainland got the UK supplier to put gbox on a pallet had it collected by courier that evening took to airport had it on a plane to Cologne that evening arrived by courier 8am at garage on the road just after lunch, they also arranged hotel etc for me and the wife.

I had to pay for the gbox plus fitting but everything else they covered, absolutely bloody brilliant company, still with them when travelling europe tice a year.

regards

keith

Well i have used the AA and when i lost a clutch in Germany they eventually 11 hrs later got me recovered to a LR independant, on a Saturday morning at 0800, no mechanics on weekend but they lent me a ramp and did the job myself, bloody fine lot in Stuttgart they are.

Anyway after that i changed to Europe Assist as it was cheaper and reputedly better service, again in Germany, i must avoid that bloody place the gearbox exploded, cutting a long story short i phoned europ assist at about 2pm they in about 3 hours sourced a gearbox in the UK as there were none in Germany or euopean mainland got the UK supplier to put gbox on a pallet had it collected by courier that evening took to airport had it on a plane to Cologne that evening arrived by courier 8am at garage on the road just after lunch, they also arranged hotel etc for me and the wife.

I had to pay for the gbox plus fitting but everything else they covered, absolutely bloody brilliant company, still with them when travelling europe tice a year.

regards

keith

Now that is service!

I use RAC via Norwich union. Never had to use it so cannot comment on quality. I live in Germany and although usually very proficient, weekends as you say are a bit hit and miss.

regards

keith

We are of for a fun filled 10 days in the Pyrenees and as an AA member I have just had a quote of £64 for the duration, the other year after returning from the south of France and 2000 miles my exhaust fell off on the M25 it took 14 hrs and 3 AA trucks to get us home, I keep meaning to cancel but keep forgetting

Anyway are these the people you refer to Kieth?

europ assitance

I took out cover with Auto Club Europa when I lived in germany. Cost is currently 57 Euros a year but cover is for anywhere in europe all year round. Me and my family members are ALL covered for any vehicle we drive or are passengers in. I informed them when I moved back to the UK and they said no problem. I get the club magazine delivered by post each month still. So if your German is up to scratch might be worth checking out their website

http://www.ace-online.de/index.php?dc=inde...mp;r=1649359612

We are of for a fun filled 10 days in the Pyrenees and as an AA member I have just had a quote of £64 for the duration, the other year after returning from the south of France and 2000 miles my exhaust fell off on the M25 it took 14 hrs and 3 AA trucks to get us home, I keep meaning to cancel but keep forgetting

Anyway are these the people you refer to Kieth?

europ assitance

They certainly are bloody marvellous as far as i am concerned, they phoned me back several times to let me know what was happening where parts were/arriving etc. I use the AA in the UK but for overseas the others are superb.

Keith

Thanks for that, they will get my money

I felt a bit uneasy letting the AA cover us to be honest, i no if there is a problem i gonna have to spent a lot of time and money arguing over the phone

Thanks for the responses guys. However, as I said my car is over 16yrs old. Yes, they will take your money but you are not covered.

Europe Assistance - Vehicle must be under 16 yrs old, same for Green Flag. AA vehicle must be under 11yrs old.

It's only when you actually read the policy do you see the limitations. The German thing sounds good but the website is all in German and I don't speak or read German :rolleyes:

I'll keep looking.

Thanks

Ivan

I tried Direct Line who cover the 110 for the UK and they turned me away cuz the car is more than 16 years old.

Rang NFU (Who we insure with) and they offer cover no problem. Is more of an insurance with values you can spend getting recovered but also has freephone landline number for France etc..... Cost something like £35 for 2 weeks cover..

Well worth it for us...

Neil

V8Freak your an absolute star. Never thought about them. Got the cheapest quote from the AA at 103.92 for the trip. Phoned NFU and up to 20 yrs old it was £36.75 for up to 15 days. Thats bloody marvellous.

Once again thanks for your help.

Ivan