Engine change?

After taking my 110 down to Billing I think its time for a bigger engine. NO I am not getting rid of it before anyone says that. The spec as it stands 200tdi (tuned by Gwyn Lewis), it’s a low mileage one (Defender) and is looked after well. But and there is always a but, it’s mated to 3 speed Auto. So do I change the engine to something bigger (it has to be a used engine , due to cost) or try to fine a 4 speed auto box and do all the work to fit that, with new props?

I was thinking of a 4.2 diesel out of a Toyota Landcruiser? Is it possible to get a conversion plate to mate to the auto box? Yes I know I could fit the auto box from the Toyota as well, but I think it’s a lot of work, new props as well.

Any other ideas?

Paul

After taking my 110 down to Billing I think its time for a bigger engine. NO I am not getting rid of it before anyone says that. The spec as it stands 200tdi (tuned by Gwyn Lewis), it’s a low mileage one (Defender) and is looked after well. But and there is always a but, it’s mated to 3 speed Auto. So do I change the engine to something bigger (it has to be a used engine , due to cost) or try to fine a 4 speed auto box and do all the work to fit that, with new props?

I was thinking of a 4.2 diesel out of a Toyota Landcruiser? Is it possible to get a conversion plate to mate to the auto box? Yes I know I could fit the auto box from the Toyota as well, but I think it’s a lot of work, new props as well.

Any other ideas?

Paul

Milner conversions have conversion plates for LR gear boxes to Dihatsu engines so may be worth a call to see if they can help.

The 200Tdi is a fine engine so should be coping well.

Why do you need bigger?

Personally I would look into a 4spd auto and maybe a transfercase

gearing change.

Well I want more power and more speed. A 4 speed auto would be good, but I would need new props and move the driver from the dash.

As for a transfer box, I run a 1.4 now and it strugles up some big hills. If I can find the right engine I can drop the transfer box to a 1.2 or 1.1

Paul

The 200Tdi is a fine engine so should be coping well.

Why do you need bigger?

It's a good engine but it's hardly the pinnacle of engine technology, you're never going to shred the tarmac with a 200TDi unless you spend megabucks tuning it, so why bother when you could spend far less and drop in a more powerful lump from something else?

It's a good engine but it's hardly the pinnacle of engine technology, you're never going to shred the tarmac with a 200TDi unless you spend megabucks tuning it, so why bother when you could spend far less and drop in a more powerful lump from something else?

Thats my thinking.

There use to be lots of conversions for old Range Rovers and as my 110 has a RR box it makes things easer. I an trying to find an adaptor plater for a Toyota 4.2 or Nissian 3.5TD any one know of any?

Paul

Well if you wanted to sell the tdi or the autobox or both i would be interested!

but i would say keep the tdi and look to change the gearing 4 speed or T box to 1.6 if it struggles with the hills.

Well if you wanted to sell the tdi or the autobox or both i would be interested!

but i would say keep the tdi and look to change the gearing 4 speed or T box to 1.6 if it struggles with the hills.

Well I did think about the 1.6, but then I would lose even more top end speed.

Lots of people keeping making me offers for the TDi :blink:

Paul

Guest dew110CSW

You Wuss.

I made it all the way their in a TD with overheating problems which meant I was going most of the way at 40-45mph, still made it though.

You Wuss.

I made it all the way their in a TD with overheating problems which meant I was going most of the way at 40-45mph, still made it though.

No, it got there ok even towing the trailer. Got home ok as well, even after getting run into by a motor bike at Billing with no insurance.

Its just I want to do it a bit quicker.

Paul

No, it got there ok even towing the trailer. Got home ok as well, even after getting run into by a motor bike at Billing with no insurance.

Its just I want to do it a bit quicker.

Paul

i think the length of the 1hz 'yota engine will cause you issues as big sixes are a squeeze in the einge bay. its not impossible, just not straightforward and you won't get a conversion kit. you'd be easies getting the engine and box(es) from the landcruiser and then shoving them as far into the bulkhead as possible. might as well have the axles too, by which point you might as well ahve bought a landcruiser in the first place.

a reasonable place to start might be the 12h-t from 62 sereis landcruisers, predecesor to the 80 series, but more square and with square lights. this is also a straight six, 3.9l, but a kit existed at some point to stick the 2h into a defender and the 12 h-t shares the same block but is turbo'd, so might make life a bit easier. these things rust badly so it should be possible to pick up a rot box with good transmission...if you can find one. i dont think they were imported in great numbers to the uk, but they do pop up on ebay quite occasionally. more common are 60 series, but these are non turbo.

speaking of 3.9's our australian counterparts will sing the praises of the isuzu 4bd1-t. this was standard fit into some aussie 110's and 130's before the tdi became available and because 12 and 19j were so ****.

http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/

some useful bits there and probably some means to hook it up to your 727. check out outerlimits for much more info.

4bd1's areto be found in light trucks in the uk.

Hi Paul

Posted reply on DL for you but wanted to add that if you fancy a trip to Gloucestershire to look at the Nissan 4 or 6 cyl or the Iveco 2.8 then let me know.

Will do. I like the Iveco as I have one in my van. But I am edgeine towards either a 3.5 Mazda/Perkins or the Nissian.

Paul

Will do. I like the Iveco as I have one in my van. But I am edgeine towards either a 3.5 Mazda/Perkins or the Nissian.

Paul

Not got any personal experience of the Nissan but the Mazda 35SL is one hell of an engine. Just put one in TD 90 as the RR it was in disintegrated. The rangie was fast, hoping the 90 pick-up will be even quicker, especially with the disco TD5 intercooler.

Saw your post on t'other forum, mine is fitted to a long stick V8 LT-77 out of a rangie, heard about them installed to 4sp ZF's but not to a 3sp auto. M&D will know though.

Here's some pictures of mine, just need to tidy up the wiring now and figure out where to put an air filter!

65524560_img.jpg

65524652_img.jpg

65525531_img.jpg

Martin