Stealing from Billing SAT 21th Please HELP

On reading a recent article in a Landrover magazine my husband and I realised we are not alone in the habit of waving to other Defender drivers and getting a thrill when they wave back. We have met many other landy drivers over the past few years and feel we are well on the way to becoming part of the landy family. Our own little landy family consists of a 1989 90 (my husbands first landy and a work in progress), 1999 Disco II and the latest addition in the last month a 2005 110 XS SW our pride and joy. We bought our latest landy with the intention of travelling far and wide, so in the previous six months we have been collecting all the required equipment a roof tent, roof rack etc You can imagine our excitement at finally getting it on the new landy. What better way to spend our summer holiday than travelling from our home in Inverness to the south of England and giving our new equipment a good run for its money.

After our trip last year to Billing and the Landrover Show and meeting so many pleasant and interesting people from all over the world we thought this would be a good place to stop for a day trip on the way. So we arrived full of enthusiasm to pick up some bits that we hadn’t managed to get and also some spares for our trips to come. We arrived back, arms laden, to our 110 to find that someone had stolen our Roof tent, Roof Rack, Jerry cans and Ammo box containing Tools and gas cooker. You can imagine we are distraught. This would have been no easy task as we put it on with a fork lift. To add insult to injury they also badly scratched, scrapped and damaged our 110. There is also problems with the CCTV at the site so any hope of identifying the culprits is gone.

We are writing this letter to ask for help from the landy family and also warn them if they aren’t aware that roof racks etc aren’t covered under your normal Car insurance. We have lost about £2K worth of equipment and would hate to think of someone else having to go through the same experience. But where we ask for your help is if you come across a Technitop roof tent or Outback roof rack for sale please get in touch with us (07783952142). These are quiet rare in the UK as there is no UK Distributor.

We in no way feel that anyone from the landy family is involved because who would do that to another landy enthusiast. The only thing that has raised our spirits in the last 24hrs is the landy drivers that have waved to us while driving along the M1.

post-4270-1185304821_thumb.jpg

I am really sorry to hear about your loss. Not able to do much from over here, but very sorry all the same. Is it not possible to insure tent and rack seperately? Seems a lot of money to spend on kit that can simply be removed. There must have been more than one person involved to remove it all without a fork lift. Lets just hope somebody saw something, and can help out.

Regards,

Paul.

welcome to LR4x4 , I hope you are lucky enough to trace your tent/rack etc . The bravado of thieves like this does make it hard to protect your stuff . I take it you have reported it to Billing org/ local plod/ mag & as many forums as poss. May also be putting a search on Ebay ,

Cheers

Steveb

Guest dew110CSW

Very sorry to hear your loss, I was at the show and can say it seemed a really good bunch of blokes all willing to help each other out. Shame some scumbags try to ruin the party.

It is a problem - must have had some b@lls to nick it in braod daylight.

I was looking at the roofracks - I love a Patriot type rack but noticed that they all seem to just bolt on to the gutters, which made me wonder about security.

It is a problem - must have had some b@lls to nick it in braod daylight.

I was looking at the roofracks - I love a Patriot type rack but noticed that they all seem to just bolt on to the gutters, which made me wonder about security.

What about drilling through the gutter and padlocking it on. They could then use bolt cutters but it would slow the most determined down and cut out the opportunist.

Guest WALFY

I agree they must of had some b*lls but if you seen 3 or 4 blokes taking a roofrack etc off a car would you challenge them. You'd assume it was their car. People with that sort of bravado will steal anything. But that doesn't make it right. A pretty **** way to end the show with. :angry: