Jumping out of low range

Guest dew110CSW

Guest dew110CSW

Billing was the first chance I got to use some of the OneTens features to the full, basically as the camping field was like a mud pit. Now Difflocks engaged perfectly and worked without fail, but I basically had to hold it in low range. Something to worry about or purely lack of use?

Really not sure, Just trying it out on the field we were camping. Diff locks worked a treat, even the light did!

on mine, when changing to high, I pull it as far as it'll go, then lift the clutch a bit, and it'll move another notch to fully engaged.

Maybe try the same on yours, when going to low.

Guest dew110CSW

I was told to lift the clutch and feel the clunk, which I did. But it still jumped out when I shifted the main gearbox.

Guest dew110CSW

Where can I use it short of the farmers field? When it's hitting 10mph in 4th you know road use is out of the question really lol.

Where can I use it short of the farmers field? When it's hitting 10mph in 4th you know road use is out of the question really lol.

If I haven't used mine in a while, traffic jams are a perfect opportunity. :)

Bit annoying for the drivers behind you when you're doing 0.1mph in low first, at idle. :lol:

Plus you can practice going from low to high on the move - be very careful doing this though, as it's not recommended.

Guest dew110CSW

Never thought of that, I gotta admit when traffics crawling at such a speed that High 1st is too high I've considered dropping it down.

Plus I was told LR Recommend when towing a heavy trailer or loaded heavy then Moving from Lo to Hi can be good on steep hills.

I can't remember LRs exact directions but in general:

accelerate in low range to 4th or 5th.

clutch

put transfer box in neutral

put main box in 2nd or 3rd

lift the clutch

clutch again and transfer box into high

Guest dew110CSW

Won't try it till I've got a little better with the gearbox yet I don't think, Can still get it wrong when dealing with 1 range!

Guest dew110CSW

Ok, I have a feeling a Reconditioning of the Transfer box may have to sit on the back burner for a while! Still works in high and that's all I need...

It might not be difficult, I've had both my LT230's apart and they're not rocket science (by contrast I would not even think about opening an LT77 or R380, not my idea of fun). The earlier ones have shims on the intermediate gears which (apparently) wear and cause this shunting, the later ones are taper roller bearing so perhaps new bearings or maybe there's a shim/spacer/preload to be looked at. Could be worth asking someone like Mr Ashcroft.

Before worrying about reconditioning or replacing transfer boxes, I would first try putting it in to low when you are on the move. Just put the gearbox into neutral when rolling along at 1-2mph and push your hi-lo lever into low.

I suspect it wasn't engaging fully and as soon as you put some load on it, it would jump out. Try this method for moving into low and high as it works all the time.

Cheers

Steve

As Steve says above try that first. it may also be just worn linkage which can be adjusted in situ (see if its loose when in Low)

as for Low to High

I can't remember LRs exact directions but in general:

accelerate in low range to 4th or 5th.

clutch

put main box in 2nd or 3rd

lift the clutch

clutch again and transfer box into high

i thought LR went with this

accelerate in low range to 4th or 5th. approx 20mph

clutch in

clutch out

clutch in

put main box in 2nd

clutch out

clutch in

Transfer box into high

clutch out

and all this whilst covering the footbrake with the right foot.

and weaving a way between traffic and trying to be quick so you dont loose momentum!

But as you say it works with your suggestion Gromit, and on some you can do it all in one. especially a works car....

I always change from high to low at very low speed maybe 2-3 mph by double de-cluching and into second gear low box.

and also I double de-cluch changing up mine used to jump out occasionally but doing this it never done it since

i thought LR went with this

accelerate in low range to 4th or 5th. approx 20mph

clutch in

clutch out

clutch in

put main box in 2nd

clutch out

clutch in

Transfer box into high

clutch out

and all this whilst covering the footbrake with the right foot.

Yeah, that probably is the party line. There are way too many clutches in there though. Might work while sitting parked in your driveway, but while actually driving......

Guest dew110CSW

Don't know if it's related, but I've also found that on long drives the Transfer Box lever (Metal Piece below the knob) can get rarther warm. Not too hot that you cannot hold it but warm none the less, and warm air comes in through the seat box. Don't know what thats indicating but hope it's not serious.