Private investigators ( Very off Topic)

ciderman

Am I obliged to give any information to a private investigator?

After an attempt of an intimidating phone call todayat work from a person claiming to be a Private Investigator working on behalf of a third party trying to get information about a traffic accident that happened 3 years ago that allegidly involved one of our company vehicles.

The police were happy with the result at the time and we were not at fault, But 3 years on this persistant prat claims that i cannot withhold any information from him gathering his enqueries .

Do these people actually have any powers to extract information from others or was I right to tell him to politely go forth and multiply in not so many words .

Jase,

You are not obliged to tell them anything …………..they are just ordinary folk like you and me, with no power of jurisdiction ……..often legal consultants will play the PI part………PI’s can be a real pain in the ar$e :rolleyes:

Just politely tell them to find a real job…………but you will get pestered several times in an attempt to get you to part with the information to get them off your back.

Do not engage in conversation …………… some of them are good………. very good at getting what they want without you even realising it.

I would guess its part of an injury compensation claim ……………

If you want, give them my mobile number as your point of contact ………… I love playing games with these types……… :ph34r:

:)

Ian

Hi,

I've had some professional dealings with some when I was a barrister. They can be chancers and will push their luck (some are quite happy to operate well outside the law :ph34r: ).

You are under no legal obligation whatsoever to divulge anything to them in any circumstances whatsoever, and if you do give them any information you stand a good chance of being witness summonsed in due course to attend court...

My main advice would be not to interact with them at all other than to insist on getting their full name, company name and some contact address, not just a phone number. Once you've got this don't speak to them and if they keep hassling you tell them you're going to report them to the Police under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, and if they keep on at you, do it!

If you want any more specific advice feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Jos

If you want, give them my mobile number as your point of contact ………… I love playing games with these types……… :ph34r:

:)

Ian

Would this be along the stylee of "Just how long have you known Tom Maybee then" ? :lol:

The other option would be to ask him if he can hear you clearly, and when he says yes say

"Well **** *** then ...........clear enough ?"

Nige

I agree with the comments above. Private investigators are private individuals - they have no special powers at all beyond what you and anyone else has - just a knowledge of how to lie and bend the law to fool you. Two words, the last ending with 'off' is all you need to tell these slugs.

Les.

Comes under the aforementioned heading of a chancer and you are under no obligation to tell him anything.

When he rings again advise that you require all communications to be made in writing on his company letterhead addressed to your head office.

Then follow the advice given by Jos.

Yup - no more power than Joe Public - they operate on intimidation tactics and some folk will think (or assume) they have authority and give them the info they need.

Harassment legislation is good - anything that ammounts to a 'course of conduct' consitiutes an offence for which the PI can be arrested and charged. Keep a note of times and dates of his contact with you, mention how it made you feel (sounds strange I know - but it's clearly concerned you if you've posted on the forum) and get the Police involved. Imagine if he was 'investigating' an 80 year old widow and using the same tactics - would you want your Granny to go through that? I wouldn't, and therefore he needs sorting out asap.

It's all very well for you Scottish types to chip in on these types of threads, but you just give anyone you don't like a kick in the 'staines' - we Southerners are far more genteel, and use the Queens English to do much the same thing! :lol:

Les. :)