LED work lights

streaky

I don't want to run a 55 watt halogen light for my worklight and wondered if there is an LED worklamp available that can be fixed to the rear of the roofrack like a normal worklamp.

Anyone seen them? Names of manufacturer etc?

Thx,

S.

I keep modifying lights to LED's. Have a look at my preparation page on LRA. Sorry Les. LOL

I put two underfloor LED's into a Defender reversing light. The light is adequate for the job. I wouldn't call it a work light though. See here http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=81745

I've recently come across the later tower LED bulbs. I haven't tried one in a reversing light yet but they are certainly a lot cheaper.

See www.ultraleds.com

I have the tower bulbs in a lantern and they are super in the dark tent.

mike

I don't want to run a 55 watt halogen light for my worklight and wondered if there is an LED worklamp available that can be fixed to the rear of the roofrack like a normal worklamp.

Anyone seen them? Names of manufacturer etc?

Thx,

S.

There's some on ebay, don't know how bright they'd be though:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-16-WHITE-LED-WO...3QQcmdZViewItem

Paul :)

Lumileds Luxeon is a type of high power LED which can be built in to or made to fit any type of light you want. The output efficiency is 4 times that of an incandescent lamp. I mentioned them as someone inferred that LED's are inferior and "you can't beat a proper bulb". Mr Paintman then backed up my statement with his observations of a newly acquired Luxeon lamp in his maglite and how impressed he was with it. Therefore, it was pertinent. :rolleyes:

Nick... the smelly one

Lumileds-K2-01.jpg

Am I reading the original post wronng ? I thought that streaky wanted a mounted light on the back of his vehicle. Or do Maglite now make one :D

mike

Yuk yuk yuk...thx Mike. Whilst these lot dribble & argue amoungst themselves :ph34r: I'll do some investigations into that little lot :lol: .

I'm not after a flood light to compete with a halogen unit...these drain the battery far too quickly whilst camping. I just want a semi-decent light that can be fixed to the roofrack. It would be nice if it is also on a pivot like a regular work light.

From what I've seen so far you don't use a defuser on LED's....hence I don't want to spend the evening walking around the camp site with a horrid red spotted vision :blink:

I already have a selection of hand held rechargable LED work lamps. These are great for crawling around under the car + you get the extended battery life that goes with LED's.

Thx & regards.

S.

Lumileds Luxeon is a type of high power LED which can be built in to or made to fit any type of light you want. The output efficiency is 4 times that of an incandescent lamp. I mentioned them as someone inferred that LED's are inferior and "you can't beat a proper bulb". Mr Paintman then backed up my statement with his observations of a newly acquired Luxeon lamp in his maglite and how impressed he was with it. Therefore, it was pertinent. :rolleyes:

Are these the type that are referred to as 'bat wing' LEDs?

Electronics obsessed mate bought one (just the LED - and it wasn't cheap :blink:) a couple of years ago when they first came out. Running off a small battery (standard 9V IIRC) it produced about as much light as a 100W domestic bulb, and actually hurt to look at. Very impressive.

Did get quite hot, so I guess not as efficient as a 'traditional' LED?

Your welcome streaky.

To give you some idea of the light output from the one I made.

I can see all the inside of the rear dooe when it's open and a bit of the ground rear of the open door.

I know what you mean about what you want in light output.

I used mine on a regular basis in Namibia and Botswana to cook at night.

If it stops raining I'll put this tower bulb into a square reversing light and pass comments.

mike