Violent Front Wheel Shake between 38 - 50 mph

Re-Discovery

Well the journey to Billing and back was very interesting, which equated to approximately 7½ hours of white knuckle ride!?!?! :o

It appears that I am suffering with a Violent Front Wheel Shake between 38 - 50 mph, it is fine below that speed and fine above that speed and only happens when the vehicle is under load i.e. Decelerating within that range is okay?!?!?! :blink:

I am running 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds on Mach 5 Bead locking Rims within each tyre I have approximately 15ozs of Airsoft BB’s in order to balance them from the inside out (see this link http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=18 for more info) ;)

I have an amount of play in my front nearside CV Housing, but have been told that this shouldn’t cause any grief, but will be removing a shim or two shortly in order to hopefully resolve this issue!?!?!? ::)

My Panhard Rod Bushes are fine!?!?! :)

Any ideas as to what it could be would be gratefully received?!?!?! B)

I had a mate with a similar problem to this and it was a damaged wheel ( buckled) that was causing the problem

Hope this helps

Nick

These are brand fire new and were fitted just prior to setting off to Billing!?!?!? :blink:

my mate had the same prob

sorted with a new set of (bigger) boots n rims

No thanks.....wheels and tyres have just cost just short of £1700.....so not in too much of a rush to replace them!?!?! :P

These are brand fire new and were fitted just prior to setting off to Billing!?!?!? :blink:

No thanks.....wheels and tyres have just cost just short of £1700.....so not in too much of a rush to replace them!?!?! :P

did you have the same prob b4 fitting them ?

try putting the front wheels on the back

Just thought I would post an update on what has been done to try and resolve the issue so far; :)

• Fitted brand new top and bottom bearings, shims, gaskets and top and bottom pins to both Swivel Housings!?!?!
  • Fitted brand new track rod and drag links ends!?!?!
  • Just had all four wheels aligned, and tracking done, camber and castor all okay!?!?!
  • No play in any of the Prop UJ’s front or back!?!?!
  • All Suspension bushes appear to be fine!?!?!

The only thing that I haven’t yell checked as far as I can tell is the wheel balancing and the reason for that is that my 35’s would not fit on the tyre balancing machine at the tyre place that did my wheel alignment today.?!?!?!? :angry:

Have you checked or replaced the Panhard rod and its bushings? If there's play, the axle will be able to move left to right, causing severe wobble.

Have a mate shake the steering wheel violently while you watch the rod and bushes carefully.

I had this problem on my 90, at first I could drive through it, but it got worse until I changed the bushings.

All the bushes apear to be fine, my panhard rod is one of the Scorpion Racing Adjustable ones and therefore only has a bush at one end and a rose joint at the other!?!?? :blink:

would still try n borrow a different set of wheels n tyres to try out

All the bushes apear to be fine, my panhard rod is one of the Scorpion Racing Adjustable ones and therefore only has a bush at one end and a rose joint at the other!?!?? :blink:

What a coincidence... So was mine! But there was considerable play in the rosejoint, so I forced it out and machined the head to take a Range Rover Panhard bush, handling has improved dramatically since!

Easiest would be to try with a different set of tires first though. ;)

Mark,

Have you looked at the caster angle.

Your running about a 4" lift arn't you so it could be worth putting a angle guage on the swivle pins to give you an idea if the caster, it should be at or around +3 degrees.

The other thing to look at is the condition/operation of the steering damper.

Dan.

I have just replaced the front Radius Arm to chassis bushes (with Polybush Oranges) as they had gone and were allowing forward and backwards movement of the axel?!?!

Took it for a spin on Saturday and it didn’t appear to be doing it anymore, but when I took it for a spin yesterday it seemed to be doing it again!?!?! :(

I can definitely say that on gentle acceleration it doesn’t appear to be doing it (or be that noticeable), but under heavy acceleration it really does get a shake on!?!?! :blink:

I can assure everyone from speaking to several people who work in the tyre industry that it is not wheel balancing (due to the speed at which it comes in, being so slow, between 35-50mph) so please don’t post that. :rolleyes:

This week I will be swapping the front wheels with the back to see if one of my new front wheels are buckled somehow?!?!?!

There is no play in any of my propshaft UJs!?!?!

I am quickly running out of options on what it could be, please feel free to post any sensible suggestions?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance.

I can assure everyone from speaking to several people who work in the tyre industry that it is not wheel balancing (due to the speed at which it comes in, being so slow, between 35-50mph) so please don’t post that. :rolleyes:

In that case people who work in the tyre industry are talking poppycock because on the last two sets of new tyres I have had I have had steering shake at about 45mph and in both cases it has been wheel balance!

Not saying it is that but I am definitely saying: don't rule it out unless it has actually been checked!

• 5 months later...