Violent Front Wheel Shake between 38 - 50 mph

Re-Discovery

If you leave the spring and damper rates are left the same, then a bigger heavier wheel and tyre will cause a wobble at a much lower speed than before, if its out of balance.

Worth getting the wheels and tyres checked where they were fitted before you spend any more time or money...

:rolleyes:

Nick

Well the journey to Billing and back was very interesting, which equated to approximately 7½ hours of white knuckle ride!?!?! :o

It appears that I am suffering with a Violent Front Wheel Shake between 38 - 50 mph, it is fine below that speed and fine above that speed and only happens when the vehicle is under load i.e. Decelerating within that range is okay?!?!?! :blink:

I am running 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds on Mach 5 Bead locking Rims within each tyre I have approximately 15ozs of Airsoft BB’s in order to balance them from the inside out (see this link http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=18 for more info) ;)

I have an amount of play in my front nearside CV Housing, but have been told that this shouldn’t cause any grief, but will be removing a shim or two shortly in order to hopefully resolve this issue!?!?!? ::)

My Panhard Rod Bushes are fine!?!?! :)

Any ideas as to what it could be would be gratefully received?!?!?! B)

I had all the above frustations, and in the end the following was found:

1. Both front steel rims and the tyres had a small out of round error. Wheels were balanced by rotating the tyre on the rim untill the lowest out-of-balance reading was achieved, and then the wheels were balanced. The problem improvrd, but did not go away.

The second test was the backlash on the PS control arm, I noted a small play in the straight ahead position, did a small adjustment and the shakes disappeared.