HI-LUX on the pole

jules

Sorry chaps but the re-run will have to be re-named "Hi-Lux nowhere near the bl*ddy Pole"...

I watched it again last night and the GPS coordinates they reached "at the pole" were 78* 35' 7" N, 104* 11' 9" W, paused it and wrote it down because I thought it couldn't be right. I thought (and a quick scratch around on Google appears to confirm) that the North Pole is at 90* of latitude (and presumably at the pole there isn't any longitude since you can be any degrees of longitude and it will be in the same place since all lines converge?)

From http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/mapping/a_latlong.html a degree of latitude is 69 miles approximately, so they were still nigh on 800 miles from the real Pole ... still an impressive achievement but definitely exaggerated for journalistic license, its like saying you visited Lands End when in fact you were somewhere up in the Hebrides ;)

Sorry chaps but the re-run will have to be re-named "Hi-Lux nowhere near the bl*ddy Pole"...

I watched it again last night and the GPS coordinates they reached "at the pole" were 78* 35' 7" N, 104* 11' 9" W, paused it and wrote it down because I thought it couldn't be right. I thought (and a quick scratch around on Google appears to confirm) that the North Pole is at 90* of latitude (and presumably at the pole there isn't any longitude since you can be any degrees of longitude and it will be in the same place since all lines converge?)

From http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/mapping/a_latlong.html a degree of latitude is 69 miles approximately, so they were still nigh on 800 miles from the real Pole ... still an impressive achievement but definitely exaggerated for journalistic license, its like saying you visited Lands End when in fact you were somewhere up in the Hebrides ;)

Hi Bog,

I get called an Anorak for liking landies in general but you must be an "uber anorak"!! :D

No offence meant!!! (from one anorak to another ;) )

I think you'll find most of the Poles are now in England - working.

:lol::lol: nice one Jez around here the eastern bloc incomers are being told off for catching and eating carp and ducks on the rivers.

BM i saw that GPS readout and thought the same.....just a smidge of TV smoke n mirrors

cheers

Steveb

In case anyone wants to watch this and can't (no repeats/outside the UK etc) try here.

Also, respect to the (heavily) modified Hi-Lux... I second the opinion that it's such a damn shame the standard vehicle looks nothing remotely like it.

And Clarkson... gawd bless him, if he didn't exist ... you'd have to make him. He's such a tosser but facinating to watch! I spent half the show laughing my head off and half crouching behind the sofa while he did his utter best to totally destroy the Toyota!!! For a man who claims to love cars, he has no thought of mechanical sympathy at all.