How to weld steel body panels with an arc welder

MogLite

A mate of mine needs to do some body work repairs - actually wheel arches on a Nissan Patrol.

He's got an arc welder, but no MIG.

Has anyone tried one of these from Frosts ?

My suggestion was to get a spot weld gun for his arc welder, these are about £50 off of eBay. Along with a joddler - I think that'll be bang on.

Anyone had any success with body repairs and an arc welder ?

Andy,

IMHO ARC/MMA is not going to be the right bit of kit for thin body panels, whilst a highly skilled welder in the process may be able to gas / tig / mig would be the preffered choices.

The piece of kit you mentioned is still having the wrong kit / application, just less worse if that makes sense :)

Nige

A mate of mine needs to do some body work repairs - actually wheel arches on a Nissan Patrol.

My suggestion was to get a spot weld gun for his arc welder, these are about £50 off of eBay. Along with a joddler - I think that'll be bang on.

IHMO a total waste of time trying to use a Arc welder, also spot welder is not really a good option. He has really only imho 2 options, borrow a mig, or glue them(tiger seal etc) on using a couple of pop-rivets to hold them in place, then grind of rivets small amount of filling which he has to do anyway.

Gas welding is not really a good option due to the distortion that is created.

Regards

Keith

The arc welder is fine for making the weld current, not for the actual welding. Welding thin sheet with arc is best avoided.

Connect a spool gun (example: Spool Gun) to the arc welder and enjoy the best of both worlds. The spool gun can also be used when welding directly from batteries...