'04 V6 freelander..

pigster

anyone know of anything wrong with these little motors..? ('04 v6 freelander)

I have not heard anything about engine problems with this engine version, I assume the bugs (whatever they are) are pretty much all sorted out by the time it gets to '04

so suggestions people?

cheers in advance

anyone know of anything wrong with these little motors..? ('04 v6 freelander)

I have not heard anything about engine problems with this engine version, I assume the bugs (whatever they are) are pretty much all sorted out by the time it gets to '04

so suggestions people?

cheers in advance

Hi Pigster,

Apart from being thirsty on fuel, there are 2 things I know about.

1. Check for low coolant/emulsification in header tank; they can suffer from head gasket issues also.

2. If you can listen to engine from dead cold start for rattling caused by wear in the butterflies in the inlet manifold. (I know LR have changed the something in the engine management to help prevent this and have not seen the problem in a car a late as 04).

Mark.

It's a K(aboom) series engine therefore I would avoid it if it were me - though not everybody agrees with this line of thinking :D

I have only ever travelled as a passenger in a KV6 Freebie but it didn't blow my skirt up, seemed quite revvy and no real performance advantage over a Td4 for normal brisk driving like we were doing (i.e. pressing on but not thrashing the nuts off it). I wouldn't buy another Td4 in this part of the world for reasons I won't go into but it is a great little engine and is so right for a Freelander. The new one is good too, even though it's a completely different Td4 just to confuse :rolleyes:

the v6 is still a K series motor - - well that I didn't know..

td4 - hmmmmm, that could be worth a look into instead then.. depends on the money side of things.

It's a K(aboom) series engine therefore I would avoid it if it were me - though not everybody agrees with this line of thinking :D

I have only ever travelled as a passenger in a KV6 Freebie but it didn't blow my skirt up, seemed quite revvy and no real performance advantage over a Td4 for normal brisk driving like we were doing (i.e. pressing on but not thrashing the nuts off it). I wouldn't buy another Td4 in this part of the world for reasons I won't go into but it is a great little engine and is so right for a Freelander. The new one is good too, even though it's a completely different Td4 just to confuse :rolleyes:

KV6 was reasonably well sorted by the time it was fitted in the Freelander. Had a reputation for a being a right bag of s****e when it was first fitted in Rover 800s, but later KV6 variants are OK.

Not immune from head gasket problems, but rare to see it in a post 2001 KV6 especially when fitted in a Freelander.

We ran an 03 V6 for three years, BogMonster has it pretty much spot on IMHO. Revvy, really nice to drive but performance at best equals TD4 and as you would expect is noticeably worse at low revs.

Fuel consumption is absolutely appalling -- we never managed the quoted figures and in reality it was only ever marginally better than what Land Rover were claiming for the L322 V8 Range Rover at the time :o

Cause of the fuel consumption I was pleased to send it back to the lease company in April last year :lol: Would probably have kept it otherwise (and would certainly have kept it if I'd done the sensible thing in the first place and got a TD4).

TD4 is much better all round IMHO. Decent fuel consumption, and excellent low down torque. Prices are higher though.

Careful with 04 TD4 though -- for some reason 04 TD4s are noted for problems with MAF sensors and injector wiring. Should be sorted in all 04s by now but worth checking carefully. Personally, I reckon the FL1 was at its best in 03. All the bolt on plastic bits and horrible naff interior they added in 04 does nothing for the FL1 IMHO.