110V tools

will_warne

I'm hunting arround at the moment for a plasma cutter and one of the one's that's appeared on flee bay is an ex display butters. The only problem is that its 110V. Obviously it can't be run on 230V but what are the options for running one of these in a workshop and are they feasible????

TIA

Will, is there a reason you're going for one with a built in compressor?

If you don't have a stand alone compressor, or you need to use this in remote places then fair play.

I have one (same size, basically) and the on board air does let it down a bit when trying to cut thicker materials (i.e. you can do it, but its pretty slow and a bit messy). I bought it because I needed it for my boat (therefore no compressor access). I wouldn't recommend one in this configuration unless you really have a specific reason.

A proper plasma will be on the shopping list once I've paid for my latest tool purchase. These are a bit limited IMHO (but still bloomin useful!)

Cheers, Al.

:)

Will, is there a reason you're going for one with a built in compressor?

If you don't have a stand alone compressor, or you need to use this in remote places then fair play.

I have one (same size, basically) and the on board air does let it down a bit when trying to cut thicker materials (i.e. you can do it, but its pretty slow and a bit messy). I bought it because I needed it for my boat (therefore no compressor access). I wouldn't recommend one in this configuration unless you really have a specific reason.

A proper plasma will be on the shopping list once I've paid for my latest tool purchase. These are a bit limited IMHO (but still bloomin useful!)

Cheers, Al.

:)

Al, I'm not really looking for one with a built in compressor but I am looking for a decent brand at a reasonable price. TBH I was really wanting to assess options...

Check the specs to see what the Kva requirement is for the unit. I have a 115v Butters MMA weldy and it needs a constant 5kva power supply. So you will possibly need a good transformer for it too. Most state a Kva figure but it not the constant but max.

Hope that helps

Mark