90 vs 110 - serious questions needing serious answers

Right then, as with most things in life the wife has decreed a change. :rolleyes:

Fuel and our insurers have prompted the wife to decide my Rangey is going. She's also said i'm not allowed to build the 100" i was planning for when it gets too rusty, i've got to build the extension instead.

:(

On the plus side, replacement has been approved. Budget is about £2,500

We've been to look at a 90 TD, hence my question last weekend about TD specific problems and it was ok. Nothing too shabby, just a straight truck which was quite clean. We've looked at a 90 300Tdi which had lots of miles on but was ok and also at an ex-utility 200 Tdi 90 which was very good.

Also in the mixer were an 'L' plate 200 Tdi 110 hardtop which was cheaper and in good nick and has space to do all our fetching and carrying to save me having to use a trailer. We found an 'F' plate TD CSW which was nice, but needed quite a lot of 'tidying'.

I used to love my 'K' plate 200 Tdi 110, but had to sell it when i came off my bike last year a week after losing my job...

SO

Pound for pound you get more for your dollar with a 110, but here are a few scenarios that i'd be grateful for help with;

1/ The road is covered with snow with slight ice underneath. A 90 and a 110 (both with 4 passengers) start up the hill with is about 1 in 6. Which one gets to the top easiest?

2/ A 2 tonne generator has to be towed across a field. Tractors have already churned some of the surface up due to the wetness of it and you've watched a Nissan Navara sink to its axles as its road tyres spun. There's grass on the top and then squishy ground underneath. The 90 and the 110 are on, oh let's say Insa Turbo Saharas. Which one gets the genny across the field?

3/ The water on the road to pick up the wife is 3" deep and 100yds long and has flooded at a bridge so the flow is going accross the road. Do you prefer to go through in the 90 or the 110?

4/ You get a 2" lift kit for christmas. Do you bolt it to the 90 or the 110 for biggest improvement off-road?

All situations in the last year that the rangey has coped well with, apart from number 4.

What is consensus?

I'm guessing what Ralph will say, and if he can find me a Tdi 110 CSW for my budget i'll even paint it the same colour as his in gratitude!

Cheers.

looks like you don't need my help then :D A 200Tdi would be the best to go for, IMHO a all round better/reliable engine -- mine has starship mileage & still goes very well :D

My old 110 had 164k on it and drove like it was new. Wonderful truck, just unfortunate it had to go. :(

The one i've found on ebay is a TD with 120k. I reckon i might risk having a prod and save up for a Tdi conversion.

Off to the auctions again on tuesday. There are a couple listed in the catalogue.

As for my scenarios, would you be confident to take your 110 there? Never did get to off road mine.

1 and 2 a 110 would generally fair a bit better, the extra seperation between the wheels seems to help with traction, however a 90 would do an admirable job too.

3 if 3" it wouldn't really matter, if 3' I'd prefer the smaller side area of a 90, but wouldn't turn back if I was in a 110 either.

4 probably the biggest improvement would be on a 110, it would help with the departure and break over angles, however it would also help on a 90.

So basically in those scenarios there is F all in it, so ge the one that suits your lifestyle best.

110 CSW's are very nice practical motors, but I unless I needed the extra seats I'd go with a 200tdi HT over a TD CSW if that's all my budget would stretch too, although having said that it's easier to change the engine in the future than the body.

1 and 2 a 110 would generally fair a bit better, the extra seperation between the wheels seems to help with traction, however a 90 would do an admirable job too.

3 if 3" it wouldn't really matter, if 3' I'd prefer the smaller side area of a 90, but wouldn't turn back if I was in a 110 either.

4 probably the biggest improvement would be on a 110, it would help with the departure and break over angles, however it would also help on a 90.

So basically in those scenarios there is F all in it, so ge the one that suits your lifestyle best.

110 CSW's are very nice practical motors, but I unless I needed the extra seats I'd go with a 200tdi HT over a TD CSW if that's all my budget would stretch too, although having said that it's easier to change the engine in the future than the body.

Thanks very much Mark.

You've almost echoed exactly what's bouncing around in my head.

I'm surprised what you say about side area in the water, i though 90's were more unstable?

The wife would prefer 5 doors over 3, hence my finding CSW's on ebay. She'd also be happy with windows let into the HT, but they only look right on a 90. Windows in a 110 just look wrong unless it's a 5-door!

The CSW suits us perfectly, apart from extreme off-roading... and i can't remember the last time we did that! Extreme course at Eastnor 3 years ago maybe?

Thanks again. If you see a cheapy, let me know. :)

as Mark says

1,2, and 3 not alot in them as both would achieve all.

if its only the two of you and 'stuff' i would go with a 90, its surprising how much will go in the back of a 90 HT.

a 90 is quicker and more economical than the equivalent 110.

200tdi would certainly get my vote, much better than a TD

The TD engine should be avoided unless you are prepared to intercool it or fit a 200TDi - seems like you might be buying work. These engines are prone to heat stress - if the engine gets too hot it causes the pistons to crack, which then pumps oil into the air filter housing.

Les.

Guest dew110CSW

Find a well looked after one like mine though and it can be a very good motor. My TDs got 135k on it and still going strong, ain't changing it in the near future.

Don't totally discount them, just bear in mind they are not as indistructable as a tdi (still very reliable though).

Guest diesel_jim

My last two company cars were 110 12 seaters, (300Tdi and a Td5), i've now got a shogun SWB

suffice to say, i've just bought a 110 chassis and am about to strip down my 90 and built it into a 110 SW!

they're dead handy trucks to have, /almost/ as good as a 110 hard top (you can fold the rear seats down or unbolt them for extra room), 99% just as good off road as a 90 (only real bad points are trying to manouver around tight tree's and similar, and the rear overhang)

towing is better in a 110, less pitching than a 90.

a 90 is slightly quicker (in relative terms, it's like saying a tractor is faster than a dumper....)

i prefer the driving position in a 110 SW as well, as here is no rear bulkhead at all you can put the seat back nicely. in a 90 you'll need to remove the bulkhead and replace with a stiffener bar.

a 90 has a slightly higher rear axle (the 110 has the salisbury) so you lose about 1.5" of ground clearance, although with some 255/85's that will soon be overcome!

We've just had the change of vehicle you are thinking about. From a 300tdi RR to a 200tdi 110. Budget was up to £3500 and there aren't many 200 or 300 tdi CSW's at that sort of price. In the end we turned up a 200tdi 110 crewcab with a new chassis, needs a fair amount of tidying but should be a good tow vehicle. We had a look around at 90's, 110's and 130's. Decided against the 90 due to not enough space, some of the things we want to transport will not fit. Also we occasionally look after my parents dog and a reasonable size dog in the back of a SWB takes up most of the space! The 110 isn't that big when it comes to parking in supermarkets etc.... and is reasonably good off road. For up to 3' of water I'd say they are about the same and the biggest difference is driver.

The crew cab is a nice option and leaves space for people/dogs and then any load you need to carry. Great for doing tip runs or moving welders etc......! :rolleyes: We have found that the 110 has a lot more useable space than the range rover and sadly my other half likes driving it! :ph34r::lol: She didn't like the range rover so I got to drive it all the time! :)

from Brightwells web pages in the next 4x4 auction :D

31 1996 N Land Rover Defender 110 Lwb Diesel County Stn Wagon 12 Seats Tdi

128000 miles warranted, Epsom Green, Service History, Tax Oct'07, Awaiting Arrival, Sold As Seen, No VAT.

send Earl on here a PM, his N plate 110CSW is/will be for sale soon

That's one of the ones i'd seen on Brightwells! :):)

'N' plater might be a bit rich for me. :(

We've just had the change of vehicle you are thinking about. From a 300tdi RR to a 200tdi 110. Budget was up to £3500 and there aren't many 200 or 300 tdi CSW's at that sort of price. In the end we turned up a 200tdi 110 crewcab with a new chassis, needs a fair amount of tidying but should be a good tow vehicle. We had a look around at 90's, 110's and 130's. Decided against the 90 due to not enough space, some of the things we want to transport will not fit. Also we occasionally look after my parents dog and a reasonable size dog in the back of a SWB takes up most of the space! The 110 isn't that big when it comes to parking in supermarkets etc.... and is reasonably good off road. For up to 3' of water I'd say they are about the same and the biggest difference is driver.

The crew cab is a nice option and leaves space for people/dogs and then any load you need to carry. Great for doing tip runs or moving welders etc......! :rolleyes: We have found that the 110 has a lot more useable space than the range rover and sadly my other half likes driving it! :ph34r::lol: She didn't like the range rover so I got to drive it all the time! :)

My missus loves my Rangey

2007_0215Landy0011.jpg

See?

200Tdi Crewy would be great, but i think a full on 110 CSW would be perfect.

Add a winch, 2" lift, snorkel, steering guard, diff guards, land rover logo seats... Mmm. :wub:

I'm not bothered about the cosmetic condition of what we get, i just don't want to have to weld it for a few years and i'd rather get a few miles out of engine/gearbox etc! In fact, chances are i'd spray it orange anyway once i'd got some spare $$.

Is the diff in a salisbury axle an LSD?

Now, I've never driven a 90, but it's hard to beat the versatility of a 110. You can seat 5 in reasonable comfort, and still carry everyone's kit in the back.

With the 2nd row seats folded down, you can get your house into it.

200tdi - mines got 217k and doesn't look like it's gonna quit just yet.

The only bad thing about the 110 is the turning circle - 10m on standard rims :o

Guest dew110CSW
The only bad thing about the 110 is the turning circle - 10m on standard rims :o

Does have it's upside, couple of weeks and you reverse like a pro :lol:

Personally you'd never get me in a 90. The OneTen can do 95% of the 90's work and is more stable, more practical and IMO better looking.

Meh don't worry about 90 owners, they are all just trying to make up for their lack of length (17.7 inches to be precise) :lol:

PMSL :D

That made me and the wife chuckle!

Next Q. What bits should i check on the TD if i get chance to go and look at it over the weekend? Does it have any tell-tales apart from smoke to say it's had the overheating problems that Les was on about.

Need to PM the chap Ralph said too...

Guest dew110CSW

Open the oil filler and check for serious back pressure - Other than that it's pretty much the same as any other Diesel. Expect some blue smoke when it first cracks up but that should clear pretty soon. Other than that I don't think it's a bad engine. I can make mine keep up with traffic and it'll sit at 75 for fun, what more do you need?

Speaking from 30 years personal experience of most of the Land Rover engines (Series, 90's & 110's) I would avoid a TD. Being somewhat stressed they were not brilliant to start with when new and unless it has been mollycoddled or been reconditioned in the meantime it will be pretty long in the tooth now. So, if I were you I'd get another 200Tdi or maybe a 300Tdi if you can stretch to it or find a good one within your budget. Do not be in a hurry to buy - take your time as there are bargains to be had.

If you need to cart dogs about look for a 110 CSW, the additional passenger seats are always handy plus you can always fold the second row down if you need to carry anything big. Whenever I've owned a SWB or 90 for day to day use (and I've owned just a few) I've usually ended up hampered by lack of reasonably civilised seating or loadspace.