quick winch wiring question

Tonk

Dc88's (Albrights) are only rated to 100amp cont. So using one for two motors is (Should) not to be considered.

However i have done it many times when testing and they seem to do it quite happily :ph34r:

But we would recommend 2xDC88 (Albright) contactors.

We have a new sealed connactor that is far higher spec available soon, but we are still testing (trying to break it) and it will not be available for another month.

Hope that helps

Jim :)

Dc88's (Albrights) are only rated to 100amp cont. So using one for two motors is (Should) not to be considered.

However i have done it many times when testing and they seem to do it quite happily :ph34r:

But we would recommend 2xDC88 (Albright) contactors.

We have a new sealed connactor that is far higher spec available soon, but we are still testing (trying to break it) and it will not be available for another month.

Hope that helps

Jim, what contactor are you running on the front of your td5 twin? It just looked like a single dc88 from a cursory glance

Have you ever experienced any issues associated with the failure of one contactor in a twin motor/twin contactor setup? I was concerned that the death of one contactor and the resultant stopping of its motor may cause some problems with the drivetrain as the other motor will still be spinning. Is this so?

Do you run the twin contactors in parrellell or series?

Have you tried the Warn contactor? If so, what is your opinion on them?

I know its an odd request but please could you share some photo's of your rear winch motor support, either publically or privately - I forgot to fetch my camera out of the car at the weekend

Apologies for all the questions, I'm not trying to catch you out or anything, I'm just a curious soul

Lewis :)

Jim, what contactor are you running on the front of your td5 twin? It just looked like a single dc88 from a cursory glance

Have you ever experienced any issues associated with the failure of one contactor in a twin motor/twin contactor setup? I was concerned that the death of one contactor and the resultant stopping of its motor may cause some problems with the drivetrain as the other motor will still be spinning. Is this so?

Do you run the twin contactors in parrellell or series?

Have you tried the Warn contactor? If so, what is your opinion on them?

I know its an odd request but please could you share some photo's of your rear winch motor support, either publically or privately - I forgot to fetch my camera out of the car at the weekend

Apologies for all the questions, I'm not trying to catch you out or anything, I'm just a curious soul

Hi Lewis,

On the TD5 racer i'm using a single DC88, however it is a new version specially built for us, and as such i'm pushing it to it's limits by running two motors on it to try to create a problem, so far so good :)

I have seen one conntactor fail on the twin setup, and it is easy to tell. The motors apperear to start slow and build to speed rather than give instant power, some get round this by linking the conntactors, this however is something i am not keen on.

Have had a motor fail under load while testing also, again easy to tell. But you must stop, disconnect that motor and then continue to winch or risk damage to the contactor or other electrics (This is very rare and only been experinced when using motors of different voltages to supply voltage)

The Warn conntactor although a larger looking unit than the DC88, has an almost indentical load rating to the DC88.

So nothing is gained by going this path apart from spending more money :lol:

We recommend using one conntactor for EACH motor and wiring them as such. The real trick is to use decent cable and you must return the earths to battery.

As said previously we will have a new conntactor available shortly that is man enough for two motors.

My rear winch motor support bracket is often photographed, i beleive that Will Warne has a good pic of it somewhere.

However, if not i will try to sort something for you (Am off on holiday tomorrow otherwise i'd take a pic for you)

Hope that helps mate

Ps: you should have introduced yourself :D

Planning on running 2 motors on a winch, can i get away with running both motors through one solenoid or is it as must they have their own separate ones?

TIA

Mark.

You only need to fit a P60 spool and increase the pipe size to 1/2 ...................... oh...... errr sorry ........ you have got one of those old style winches ........ :ph34r:

:lol:

Ian

Hi Lewis,

On the TD5 racer i'm using a single DC88, however it is a new version specially built for us, and as such i'm pushing it to it's limits by running two motors on it to try to create a problem, so far so good :)

I have seen one conntactor fail on the twin setup, and it is easy to tell. The motors apperear to start slow and build to speed rather than give instant power, some get round this by linking the conntactors, this however is something i am not keen on.

Have had a motor fail under load while testing also, again easy to tell. But you must stop, disconnect that motor and then continue to winch or risk damage to the contactor or other electrics (This is very rare and only been experinced when using motors of different voltages to supply voltage)

The Warn conntactor although a larger looking unit than the DC88, has an almost indentical load rating to the DC88.

We recommend using one conntactor for EACH motor and wiring them as such. The real trick is to use decent cable and you must return the earths to battery.

As said previously we will have a new conntactor available shortly that is man enough for two motors.

My rear winch motor support bracket is often photographed, i beleive that Will Warne has a good pic of it somewhere.

However, if not i will try to sort something for you (Am off on holiday tomorrow otherwise i'd take a pic for you)

Hope that helps mate

Here are the best 2 I've got:

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

Its a nice tidy solution although the motor Jim's got on the back winch is ****ing HUGE!

As Jim says, there's not much differance between the Warn contactor and the DC88. The former just has a 3rd 'can' which I've been told is a stop solinoid (the other 2 in the Warn and the 2 in the DC88 are forward and reverse). I'm not sure if that's true but I'm just going by what I'm told by a chap who had to strip one after the seal failed. I run the Warn ones because that's what I've got :D

Jim, you say your not keen on connecting the contactors. My knowlege of electrics isn't great but I was thinking of doing this to create a circuit like a ring main to help current capacity of the wiring.

Hi Lewis,

Hope that helps mate

So there were no gear failures with the loss of a contactor, thats good to know

Any idea of a rough price on the new Gigglepin contactor?

I would have introduced myself however when I got to your tent there was only a young lady about, I did line your pockets to the tune of a couple of hundred quid though - the oportuninty to pick up one of the 7.8 motors was too good to be missed. I thought your prices on the new take off 8274 shafts and gears were good. Do you sell those parts at that price all year round or were they show prices?

Only when talking to Paul Wightman later did I find out about the £75 for the new M8274-50 motors, gutted I missed out there

Regards

P.S. See you at the Euro

Planning on running 2 motors on a winch, can i get away with running both motors through one solenoid or is it as must they have their own separate ones?

TIA

Mark.

How long is a piece of string?

We need to know the current ratings. As long as the total max current for both motors combined is less than the _switching_ current of the solenoid - it's ok.

NB: 'switching current' - the current at which can be made/broken is often less than the maximun current of a switch.