2" x 1/4" tube

Daan

Hi there,

I am planning to make a new winch drum in order to take more rope. For this I need a bit of thick walled tube, dimensions 2"OD x 1/4" wall, length 250mm.

Has anyone here got this or knows a supplyer who can help me with this? My local suppliers only want to supply 6metre lengths which seems a bit of a waste.

Daan

Mechanical contractors use blue band and red band tube nominal 50mm dia.

Dims are blue band medium weight wall 3.65mm ext dia 60.8-59.8mm

red band heavy weight wall 4.5mm ext dia 60.8-59.8mm.

40mm nominal is medium wall 3.25mm ext dia 48.8-48mm

heavy 4.05mm wall 48.8-48 ext dia.

Hope this helps, if you want an odd bit let me know.

Daan, pretty sure I've got exactly what you need in my garage.

If you can wait a week, I'm back for 7 days on the 4th August - can check and arrange getting it to you then if that suits?

I just need to check I have a long enough offcut left.

Al.

P.S. - edit to say: this is full 1/4" wall thickness, not 4 or 5 mm as quoted above. Its beefy stuff! Also, if I don't have a long enough bit (though I should do), I can prob get you one. :)

Al , I can wait no worrys. If you have this that would be great, we will come to an arrangement.

I think this thickness is right for a winch drum, especially after I saw the failures of milemarker winches (split drums).

Thanks for the replys.

Daan

Daan - what thickness drum do they normally use? (Just out of interest).

If I've got it, you can have it for nothing. The only 'arrangement' will be getting it to you, but that should be do-able either by forum-member-chain-delivery, or just coinciding trips. I'm not too far away, and will probably be venturing in that direction at some point.

I'll let you know when I've looked.

Al.

:)

My current drum is 3.5" diameter with a 4 mm wall (very similar to an 8274). I cant make it wider, and I cant make bigger sides either, so the only option is deeper.

Let me know, if you've got this size tube and what beer is your favourite, we sort out the logistics later.

Daan

My current drum is 3.5" diameter with a 4 mm wall (very similar to an 8274). I cant make it wider, and I cant make bigger sides either, so the only option is deeper.

Let me know, if you've got this size tube and what beer is your favourite, we sort out the logistics later.

Daan

Daan, I assume you are using plasma rope ? 50mm would be a bit tight for wire rope. I read sometime ago in a rigging manual that for steel rope the drum should be at least 13 times the diameter of the rope.

Bill.

Daan, I assume you are using plasma rope ? 50mm would be a bit tight for wire rope. I read sometime ago in a rigging manual that for steel rope the drum should be at least 13 times the diameter of the rope.

Bill.

Thats right bill, I would not attempt this with steel wire. I am looking to get 125 ft of 11mm plasma on the drum, without too much risk of bunching to one side.

Daan

I think you'll find that 2"x1/4" will not be strong enough.

I use 60mm solid bar as i know of someone who's bent 50mm solid bar.

solid is not possible I am afraid, since the driveshaft goes throught the drum and the freespool mechanism is on the other side. What length was that then Dan? my drum measures 210 mm long.

bending 50 mm bar is quite an achievement in my opinion.

Daan

solid is not possible I am afraid, since the driveshaft goes throught the drum and the freespool mechanism is on the other side. What length was that then Dan? my drum measures 210 mm long.

bending 50 mm bar is quite an achievement in my opinion.

Daan

Why not bore the center out of solid to clear the drive shaft,

I believe the 50mm he bent was on a 12" drum length.

I run my 60mm at 15"

Ouch!

Well, let me know if its gonna be too wussy Daan.

Could you widen the whole winch to add rope capacity (possibly upgrading the drum at the same time).

Al.

I happily go with 2 x 1/4. Widening the winch is not really an option.

daan

Daan - I'll be swinging by Jez's lab on Saturday (Basingstoke-ish).

If I have a long enough offcut for you, shall I leave it with him? I remember you may or may not have a welding gas tank issue to sort with him too...?

I'm not sure I'll be headed your way, otherwise.

Al.

Daan - I'll be swinging by Jez's lab on Saturday (Basingstoke-ish).

If I have a long enough offcut for you, shall I leave it with him? I remember you may or may not have a welding gas tank issue to sort with him too...?

I'm not sure I'll be headed your way, otherwise.

Al.

What time will you be there?

Daan

Dunno...

Depends how long I spend decorating my g/f's new flat... :rolleyes:

I'm shooting for 8pm. If you turn up, you can make yourself useful by loading my new toy into the back of me landy. :ph34r: B)

But wait! Let me check I have a long enough bit first!

PM me your mobile if it will help.

Al.