O/T: Almost Stuck!

Guest dew110CSW

Guest dew110CSW

Been trying one or two lanes to break myself gently in, a Favorite being one that runs along the Walney Island tidal area (at low tide, obviously!). It's totally flat and very easy to drive, the trucks should just follow the ruts and keep smooth although mine seems to enjoy climbing the center.

100_3388.jpg

100_3395.jpg

Well got going down it gently, in high 2nd (still struggling to keep it in low!) at about 12mph, the truck was snaking and following the ruts but I managed to keep it going smoothly and flowing until I must have just got too close to the bank and it seemed to dig in, tried to keep up but as soon as one wheel started spinning all the power went and I stalled.

Slight panic, but I restarted it, selected first again (still in high) and clicked the lockers across. They came on so a little gentle power. Nothing happened. So a little more, still nothing. by this point thinking I was totally stuck, near full throttle. Bit of wheel spin but she bit and dragged herself back out of the hole she'd dug and we got going. Pulled up on solid ground and walked back to look afterwards...

100_3404.jpg

Whoops! Will note to keep more to other side next time and avoid this sticky muck!

And some pics of the OneTen afterwards:

100_3406.jpg

100_3407.jpg

Tried to get up this mound for an articulation shot, but even in low 1st it was just too steep.

100_3408.jpg

Guest dew110CSW

I'm sure I read somewhere that using Center Diff when traction is good can cause some damage in Wind up in the transmission or something similar, and up to that point it had basically been like Tarmac anyway

I'm sure I read somewhere that using Center Diff when traction is good can cause some damage in Wind up in the transmission or something similar, and up to that point it had basically been like Tarmac anyway

what dave means is go faster it works for me :)

If you are on a surface less hard than tarmac then you will not do any damage with diff-lock engaged. ...and you will be prepared for the moment when you find the soft stuff.

Chris

Guest dew110CSW
If you are on a surface less hard than tarmac then you will not do any damage with diff-lock engaged. ...and you will be prepared for the moment when you find the soft stuff.

Fair enough, I still have lots to learn in this topic and am willing to learn it. Will remember that for next time. Also trying to get Low Range to work to aid with Off roading.

I've noticed you keep saying "lockers" as if you have more than one difflock - since your 110 is (AFAIK) standard you only have the centre diff lock, not axle diff-locks.

There are various wives' tales and urban legend around how often you should use your difflock but I'm with Dave, as soon as you are on something that's not solid put it in, you won't damage anything.

It takes a lot to damage a centre diff lock 'just driving about'. I left mine in by mistake for about a fortnight (warning bulb had blown) driving about 20 miles a day. Apart from the steering getting a bit stiff it didn't do any damage.

Tried to get up this mound for an articulation shot, but even in low 1st it was just too steep.

100_3408.jpg

Maybe it's steeper than it looks, but from the picture, any LR product should romp up that mound - do you perhaps have a lack-of-power problem? (This might account for getting stuck down the lane too)

TwoSheds

Maybe it's steeper than it looks, but from the picture, any LR product should romp up that mound - do you perhaps have a lack-of-power problem? (This might account for getting stuck down the lane too)

TwoSheds

Certainly from this side of the mound, low first at idle, you should just chug up up.

Dew, just in case you don't know, you can engage and disengage your centre diff-lock on the move, at any speed, just as long a you aren't spinning a wheel.

Looks like a nice spot :)

^^^^^^^^^^Wot he said^^^^^^^^^^

I would seriously suggest you join a local club or 2 (unless you already have) turn up to a Play day and find someone who is experienced to give you some buuilding block basics of driving off road.

Then go have a practise, the joy being there are marshals about to help untick you when you get it wrong

Lastly ANY sort of lanning on your own can be a nightmare (ask me how I Know :lol: ) as all of a sudden things can happen (like getting stuck) or worse as a mate had hurt himself, always best to have minimum of x2 people better with 2x 4x4s

nige

Guest dew110CSW
Certainly from this side of the mound, low first at idle, you should just chug up up.

Dew, just in case you don't know, you can engage and disengage your centre diff-lock on the move, at any speed, just as long a you aren't spinning a wheel.

Looks like a nice spot :)

You can't see it from that side but near the top it was basically at that \ sort of angle, Plus I think the towbar dug in a little.

The Lights are Cibie Turini's (SP?)

Guest dew110CSW

Going with a few guys from here tomorrow so should pick up some experience from then, till then I'm only hitting simple things to get some confidence and find out just where the trucks limits are (way beyond mine at least!)

Dew - I realise you're young and keen and hence won't listen :P the most innocent lane can bite you and by far the best recovery tool is a second vehicle. Nige's scenario of someone getting hurt doesn't really bear thinking about but can and will happen when you least need it to.

I went laning alone when I first got my 109, never again unless I have a winch was my conclusion! :ph34r:

Guest dew110CSW

Ok, expect several posts in out and about asking for laning groups then - The OneTen is mucky now and I want it to get worse. My aim is to get it so you can barley tell it's Arles anymore! :lol:

You need to drive a 200TDi 110 to appreciate difference. TD's don't romp anywhere except on the back of another vehicle. At 65-70mph the engine will be at it's limits which is not good for this engine. If you think the stuff in your pictures were difficult, then I'm afraid you are in for a bit of a shock.

Les.

Dew,

I agree with Nige & Fridge etc. Join your local club, go to some events. Never go laning on our own and learn a bit about what you are driving and how you should be driving it.

It would proabably be worth saving up to get some proper tuition. I didn't when I started, but when some years down the line I took a course in preparation for perhaps doing some instruction I was amazed how valuable it was even for an 'old hand'!

I would also recommend that you have a read of Tom Sheppard's book on off road driving. Its a bit clinical, but it really helps to know what is going on underneath your car. Its really important to understand what the centre diff lock does and when low range is useful. This book tells it all.

Its also worth noting that it is perfectly possible to get a Land Rover stuck in a seemingly innocuous flat field so don't be embarrased that you almost got stuck there, but your Land Rover with the right approach should be able to cope with much worse.

H