O/T: Almost Stuck!

Guest dew110CSW

(...)

I went laning alone when I first got my 109, never again unless I have a winch was my conclusion! :ph34r:

I remember one of the first times I was out trying my first 4x4 (Mitsubishi L300) and got stuck in a bog. Took 3 hours winching with the high-lift to get to solid ground again. A winch suddenly seemed a really good idea!

I still dont mind going on a trip alone, but I like to be fully prepared when I do so. If going out alone at least bring a shovel, axe, high-lift and chains/ropes for use with winching, and some sand ladders. With these one can extract a vehicle from really deep mud, but it takes time and might be physically rather strenous...

Also, I can tell for a fact the OneTen is not down on power, It romps along the roads really nicely.

Dew, it's been said above but when you leave the tarmac, centre diff lock in. So many times whilst laning or play days people in front get stuck and when you mention centre diff lock they turn a bright shade of crimson!

Make sure you go laning with at least 2 vehicles, if you must go on your own let someone know where you are going and your estimated arrival time and take a charged-up mobile with a decent transmitter range.

Oh, and one last thing, just realised from your title that you are running one of those oil burning vehicles. Get a V8 mate.......................

You need to drive a 200TDi 110 to appreciate difference. TD's don't romp anywhere except on the back of another vehicle. At 65-70mph the engine will be at it's limits which is not good for this engine. If you think the stuff in your pictures were difficult, then I'm afraid you are in for a bit of a shock.

Les.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dew,

my advice would be get some training and get your head into the theory books (TS book as above is a good place to start) then as prev mentioned go out with some club members/blokes off here with some more experience and pick it up from them.

So the chap almost got stuck. So it wasn't hard core, eight foot deep slurry with leaches and broken glass in it. The guy is new to off roading and the only way to learn is by your mistakes. There shouldn't be an off roader on here who hasn't had a stuck thanks to a bl**dy stupid mistake and most of us learned from it.

Dew, get some mates and keep on doing it, learn the basics and then have some fun AND don't be put off just because you tried.