Disco 2 Auto loss of drive ?

Paul Whibley

I reckon you should be looking in your wallet to see how much is in there. :o Disco II auto's don't like towing trailers much, horse boxes kill the box, and your trailer sounds to be even heavier than that. LR should warn owners not to tow heavy trailers at all, but they don't, of course.

If it goes backwards I guess the torque converter is OK so it'll probably be something terminal in one of the forward gear clutches

Talk to Ashcroft Transmissions or PM Dave on here (username "ashtrans") who will be able to fix you up with an exchange replacement :)

Got into a DII this morning and it didn't want to go in reverse! After putting it into P and D a couple of times it agreed to move backwards. And then did it to me again.

The fault couldn't be in that rotary switch mounted on the side of the gearbox, could it? Though in the above case losing all forwards drive does not look good.

The switches do fail - about 60k miles is common - but you get a dashfull of warning lights and the bongs, and it will only go in limp home 3rd gear when in Drive, at least on the several that I have seen that broke.